SubjectRe: RFC: WMI Enhancements
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 03:03:29PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Darren Hart <dvhart@infradead.org> wrote:

> >> A couple of loose thoughts here.
> >>
> >> In principle there could be a "generic default WMI driver" or similar that would
> >> "claim" all WMI "devices" that have not been "claimed" by anyone else and would
> >> simply expose them to user space somehow (e.g. using a chardev interface).
> >>
> >> Then, depending on how that thing is implemented, opt-in etc should be possible
> >> too.
> >>

> > I think we agree this would be an ideal approach.
> >
> > As we look into this more, it is becoming clear that the necessary functionality
> > is not nicely divided into GUIDs for what is necessary in userspace and what is
> > handled in the kernel. A single WMI METHOD GUID may be needed by userspace for
> > certain functionality, while the kernel drivers may use it for something else.
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > The input to a WMI method is just a buffer, so it is very free form. One
> > approach Mario has mentioned was to audit the user space WMI METHOD calls in the
> > kernel platform drivers and reject those calls with arguments matching those
> > issued by the kernel driver. This is likely to be complex and error prone in my
> > opinion. However, I have not yet thought of another means to meet the
> > requirement of having disjoint feature sets for userspace and kernel space via a
> > mechanism that was effectively designed to be used solely from user space with
> > vendor defined method signatures.
> >
> > Next step is to look at just how complex it would be to audit the method calls
> > the kernel currently uses.
>
> I'm wondering whether it's really worth it. We already allow doing
> darned near anything using dcdbas. Maybe the world won't end if we
> expose a complete-ish ioctl interface to WMI.
>
> Also, dcdbas is, to put it mildly, a bit ridiculous. It seems to be a
> seriously awkward sysfs interface that allows you to, drumroll please,
> issue outb and inb instructions. It doesn't even check that it's
> running on a Dell system. It might be nice to deprecate it some day
> in favor of a real interface. I'd consider a low-level WMI ioctl
> interface to be a vast improvement.

I've been reluctantly arriving here as well. Given that every WMI interface will
be vendor specific, and non-discoverable, it seems unlikely developers will
eagerly duplicate kernel functionality in user-space. And if they do, it will
affect very few platforms.

I still think it makes sense to only expose a WMI interface by default on some
matching criteria. It could be DMI related, but I'd like to know if the UID is
possible as well (it depends on how vendors use the UID, if consistently, not at
all, etc.) Otherwise, the interface would not be enabled unless the user
explicitly requests it via a module parameter or similar.

--
Darren Hart
VMware Open Source Technology Center

  Last update: 2017-04-18 01:11    [W:0.156 / U:0.076 seconds]