SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the crypto tree with the kbuild tree
Hi Linus, Stephen,

> Hi Herbert,
>
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 10:42:15 +0800 Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> Actually the patch in the kbuild tree should be reverted because
>> we have now increased the in-kernel length limit and this must not
>> be directly exposed to user-space or it'll break compatibility.
>
> So basically we need CRYPTO_MAX_ALG_NAME to be 64 in the exported
> header but 128 in the kernel header? In which case the kbuild patch
> needs to be changed not removed. Or the merge resolution needs to be
> cleverer.

In the development cycle for 4.12-rc1, some patches
from Kbuild cause conflicts in linux-next from time to time.

The patches in linux-kbuild/uapi branch touched some files
in other subsystems because they are prerequisites
to export the uapi directory as-is.

Most of the conflicts are trivial to fix-up,
and they are handled nicely thanks to Stephen.

But, today's one is hard:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/4/10/1208

As Herbert suggested, the easiest way is to revert
c394d1683, but reverting it will cause an error in Kbuild tree:
.../linux/cryptouser.h:58:16: error: ‘CRYPTO_MAX_ALG_NAME’ undeclared
here (not in a function)

So, I will rebase the linux-kbuild/uapi branch onto Linus's tree
(resolving all conflicts) after crypto changes are pulled
during the next merge window.

Then, I will send the kbuild/uapi pull request so that Linus can pull
it with no (less) conflicts.

The commit c394d1683 will effectively be dropped.

I think this is the cleanest way to fix the issue.

Please let me know if you see problems in this plan.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

  Last update: 2017-04-11 09:51    [W:0.086 / U:0.096 seconds]