SubjectRe: [RFC v0 0/2] Introduce on-chip interconnect API
On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:22:33PM +0200, Georgi Djakov wrote:
> Modern SoCs have multiple processors and various dedicated cores (video, gpu,
> graphics, modem). These cores are talking to each other and can generate a lot
> of data flowing through the on-chip interconnects. These interconnect buses
> could form different topologies such as crossbar, point to point buses,
> hierarchical buses or use the network-on-chip concept.
>
> These buses have been sized usually to handle use cases with high data
> throughput but it is not necessary all the time and consume a lot of power.
> Furthermore, the priority between masters can vary depending on the running
> use case like video playback or cpu intensive tasks.
>
> Having an API to control the requirement of the system in term of bandwidth
> and QoS, so we can adapt the interconnect configuration to match those by
> scaling the frequencies, setting link priority and tuning QoS parameters.
> This configuration can be a static, one-time operation done at boot for some
> platforms or a dynamic set of operations that happen at run-time.
>
> This patchset introduce a new API to get the requirement and configure the
> interconnect buses across the entire chipset to fit with the current demand.
> The API is NOT for changing the performance of the endpoint devices, but only
> the interconnect path in between them.
>
> The API is using a consumer/provider-based model, where the providers are
> the interconnect controllers and the consumers could be various drivers.
> The consumers request interconnect resources (path) to an endpoint and set
> the desired constraints on this data flow path. The provider(s) receive
> requests from consumers and aggregate these requests for all master-slave
> pairs on that path. Then the providers configure each participating in the
> topology node according to the requested data flow path, physical links and
> constraints. The topology could be complicated and multi-tiered and is SoC
> specific.
>
> Below is a simplified diagram of a real-world SoC topology. The interconnect
> providers are the memory front-end and the NoCs.
>
> +----------------+ +----------------+
> | HW Accelerator |--->| M NoC |<---------------+
> +----------------+ +----------------+ |
> | | +------------+
> +-------------+ V +------+ | |
> | +--------+ | PCIe | | |
> | | Slaves | +------+ | |
> | +--------+ | | C NoC |
> V V | |
> +------------------+ +------------------------+ | | +-----+
> | |-->| |-->| |-->| CPU |
> | |-->| |<--| | +-----+
> | Memory | | S NoC | +------------+
> | |<--| |---------+ |
> | |<--| |<------+ | | +--------+
> +------------------+ +------------------------+ | | +-->| Slaves |
> ^ ^ ^ ^ | | +--------+
> | CPU | | | GPU | | DSP | | Masters |-->| P NoC |-->| Slaves |

> [...]

I would start without DT even. You can always have the data you need in
the kernel. This will be more flexible as you're not defining an ABI as
this evolves. I think it will take some time to have consensus on how to
represent the bus master view of buses/interconnects (It's been
attempted before).

Rob

  Last update: 2017-03-03 07:35    [W:0.144 / U:0.064 seconds]