SubjectRe: [LSF/MM TOPIC][LSF/MM,ATTEND] shared TLB, hugetlb reservations
On 03/14/2017 11:37 AM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 05:30:55PM -0800, Mike Kravetz wrote:
>> On 01/10/2017 03:02 PM, Mike Kravetz wrote:
>>> Another more concrete topic is hugetlb reservations. Michal Hocko
>>> proposed the topic "mm patches review bandwidth", and brought up the
>>> related subject of areas in need of attention from an architectural
>>> POV. I suggested that hugetlb reservations was one such area. I'm
>>> guessing it was introduced to solve a rather concrete problem. However,
>>> over time additional hugetlb functionality was added and the
>>> capabilities of the reservation code was stretched to accommodate.
>>> It would be good to step back and take a look at the design of this
>>> code to determine if a rewrite/redesign is necessary. Michal suggested
>>> documenting the current design/code as a first step. If people think
>>> this is worth discussion at the summit, I could put together such a
>>> design before the gathering.
>>
>> I attempted to put together a design/overview of how hugetlb reservations
>> currently work. Hopefully, this will be useful.
>
> Another area of hugetlbfs that is not clear is the status of
> MADV_REMOVE and the behavior of fallocate punch hole that deviates
> from more standard shmem semantics. That might also be a topic of
> interest related to your hugetlbfs topic and marginally related to
> userfaultfd.

Thanks Andrea,

I was not aware qemu was carrying all this information.

> The current status for anon, shmem and hugetlbfs like this:
>
> MADV_DONTNEED works: anon, !VM_SHARED shmem
> MADV_DONTNEED doesn't work: hugetlbfs VM_SHARED, hugetlbfs !VM_SHARED
> MADV_DONTNEED works but not guaranteed to fault: shmem VM_SHARED
>
> MADV_REMOVE works: shmem VM_SHARED, hugetlbfs VM_SHARED
> MADV_REMOVE doesn't work: anon, shmem !VM_SHARED, hugetlbfs !VM_SHARED
>
> fallocate punch hole works: hugetlbfs VM_SHARED, hugetlbfs !VM_SHARED,
> shmem VM_SHARED
> fallocate punch hole doesn't work: anon, shmem !VM_SHARED
>
> So what happens in qemu is:
>
> anon -> MADV_DONTNEED
>
> shmem !VM_SHARED -> MADV_DONTNEED (fallocate punch hole wouldn't zap
> private pages, but it does on hugetlbfs)
>
> shmem VM_SHARED -> fallocate punch hole (MADV_REMOVE would
> work too)
>
> hugetlbfs !VM_SHARED -> fallocate punch hole (works for hugetlbfs
> but not for shmem !VM_SHARED)
>
> hugetlbfs VM_SHARED -> fallocate punch hole (MADV_REMOVE would work too)
>
> This means qemu has to carry around information on the type of memory
> it got from the initial memblock setup, so at live migration time it
> can zap the memory with the right call. (NOTE: such memory is not
> generated by userfaultfd UFFDIO_COPY, but it was allocated and mapped
> and it must be zapped well before calling userfaultfd the first time).
>
> To do this qemu uses fstatfs and finds out which kind of memory it's
> dealing with to use the right call depending on which memory.
>
> In short it'd be better to have something like a generic MADV_REMOVE
> that guarantees a non-present fault after it succeeds, no matter what
> kind of memory is mapped in the virtual range that has to be
> zapped. The above is far from ideal from a userland developer
> prospective.

I think we will need to have a new generic MADV_REMOVE type of call
as you suggest. Based on existing documentation for MADV_DONTNEED,
MADV_REMOVE and fallocate hole punch they each are designed not to
work on at least one of the desired memory mapping types.

> Overall fallocate punch hole covers the most cases so to keep the code
> simpler ironically MADV_REMOVE ends up being never used despite it
> provides a more friendly API than fallocate to qemu. The files are
> always mapped and the older code only dealt with virtual addresses
> (before hugetlbfs and shmem entered thee equation). Ideally qemu wants
> to call the same madvise regardles if the memory is anon shmem or
> hugetlbfs without having to carry around file descriptor, file offsets
> and superblock types.
>
> It's also not clear why MADV_DONTNEED doesn't work for hugetlbfs
> !VM_SHARED mappings and why fallocate punch hole is also zapping
> private cow-like pages from !VM_SHARED mappings (although if it
> didn't, it would be impossible to zap those... so it's good luck it
> does).

Yes, it is more like good luck than design. fallocate hole punch for
hugetlbfs VM_SHARED was the original use case/design. MADV_REMOVE was
added just because it could without additional effort.

Thanks for bringing this up. We should definitely discuss within the
scope of hugetlbfs and/or userfaultfd.

--
Mike Kravetz

> Thanks,
> Andrea
>
> PS. CC'ed also qemu-devel in case it may help clarify why things are
> implemented they way they are in the postcopy live migration
> hugetlbfs/shmem support and in the future patches for shmem/hugetlbfs
> share=on.

  Last update: 2017-03-18 01:14    [W:0.089 / U:0.436 seconds]