SubjectRe: DRM Atomic property for color-space conversion
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 07:05:12PM +0200, Sharma, Shashank wrote:
> Regards
>
> Shashank
>

> On 3/16/2017 5:55 PM, Brian Starkey wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 05:14:07PM +0200, Sharma Shashank wrote:
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Shashank

> > I like this approach, from a point of view of being explicit and
> > discoverable by userspace. It also happens to map quite nicely to our
> > hardware... we have a matrix before degamma, so we could do a
> > CSC + Gamut conversion there in one go, which is apparently not 100%
> > mathematically correct, but in general is good enough.
> >
> > ... however having talked this over a bit with someone who understands
> > the detail a lot better than me, it sounds like the "correct" thing to
> > do as per the spec is:
> >
> > CSC -> DEGAMMA -> GAMUT
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > YCbCr bt.601 limited to RGB bt.601 full -> degamma ->
> > RGB bt.601 full to RGB bt.709 full
> >
> > So that sounds like what we need to support in the API, and also
> > sounds more like the "separate properties" approach.
> I agree.

> > It seems to me that actually the two approaches can be combined into
> > the same thing:
> > * We definitely need a YCbCr-to-RGB conversion before degamma
> > (for converting YUV data to RGB, in some flavour)
> > * We definitely need an RGB-to-RGB conversion after gamma to handle
> > 709 layers blended with Rec.2020.
> > The exact conversion each of those properties represents (CSC + gamut,
> > CSC only, gamut only) can be implicit in the enum name.
> >
> > For hardware which has a fixed-function CSC before DEGAMMA with a
> > matrix after DEGAMMA, I'd expect to see something like below. None of
> > the YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC values include a gamut conversion, because that
> > is instead exposed with the RGB_TO_RGB_CSC property (which represents
> > the hardware matrix)
> >
> > YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC (before DEGAMMA):
> > YCbCr BT.601 limited to RGB BT.601 full
> > YCbCr BT.709 limited to RGB BT.709 full
> > YCbCr BT.2020 limited to RGB BT.2020 full
> >
> > RGB_TO_RGB_CSC (after DEGAMMA):
> > RGB BT.601 full to RGB BT.709 full
> > RGB BT.709 full to RGB BT.2020 full
> >

> > On the other hand, on hardware which does a CSC + Gamut conversion in
> > one go, before DEGAMMA (like ours), you might have:
> >
> > YCBCR_TO_RGB_CSC (before DEGAMMA):
> > YCbCr BT.601 limited to RGB BT.601 full
> > YCbCr BT.601 limited to RGB BT.709 full
> > YCbCr BT.709 limited to RGB BT.709 full
> > YCbCr BT.2020 limited to RGB BT.2020 full
> >
> > RGB_TO_RGB_CSC (after DEGAMMA):
> > Not supported
> >
> > Userspace can parse the two properties to figure out its options to
> > get from desired input -> desired output. It is perhaps a little
> > verbose, but it's descriptive and flexible.
> >
> Seems to be a good idea, Ville ?

Looks pretty sane to me.

Though how we'll do the degamma/gamma is rather unclear still.

I think we might be looking at two variants of hardware:
- A fully programmable one with separate stages:
csc -> degamma -> gamut -> gamma
- A totally fixed one with just a few different variants
of the pipeline baked into the hardware

If we want to expose the gamma/degamma to the user, how exactly are we
going to do that with the latter form or hardware. I guess we could
specify that if the degamma property is not exposed, there will be an
implicit degamma stage between the two csc and gamut. And if it is
exposed the output from the first csc is non-linear and thus needs
the degamma programmed to make it so before the gamut mapping.

And perhaps a similar rule could work for the gamma; If it's present
the output from the gamut mapping is expected to be linear, and
otherwise non-linear. Not quite sure about this. In fact I don't yet
know what our hardware would output from the end of the fixed pipeline.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC

  Last update: 2017-03-16 18:40    [W:0.122 / U:0.588 seconds]