    SubjectRe: [RFC v3 0/5] Add capacity capping support to the CPU controller
    On 16-Mar 02:04, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Patrick Bellasi
    > <patrick.bellasi@arm.com> wrote:

    > >> Do you have any practical examples of that, like for example what exactly
    > >> Android is going to use this for?
    > >
    > > In general, every "informed run-time" usually know quite a lot about
    > > tasks requirements and how they impact the user experience.
    > >
    > > In Android for example tasks are classified depending on their _current_
    > > role. We can distinguish for example between:
    > >
    > > - TOP_APP: which are tasks currently affecting the UI, i.e. part of
    > > the app currently in foreground
    > > - BACKGROUND: which are tasks not directly impacting the user
    > > experience
    > >
    > > Given these information it could make sense to adopt different
    > > service/optimization policy for different tasks.
    > > For example, we can be interested in
    > > giving maximum responsiveness to TOP_APP tasks while we still want to
    > > be able to save as much energy as possible for the BACKGROUND tasks.
    > >
    > > That's where the proposal in this series (partially) comes on hand.
    >
    > A question: Does "responsiveness" translate directly to "capacity" somehow?
    >
    > Moreover, how exactly is "responsiveness" defined?

    A) "responsiveness" correlates somehow with "capacity". It's subject
    to profiling which, for some critical system components, can be
    done in an app-independent way.

    Optimization of the rendering pipeline is an example. Other system
    services, which are provided by Android to all applications, are
    also examples of where the integrator can tune and optimize to
    give benefits across all apps.

    B) the definition of "responsiveness", from a certain perspective, is
    more "qualitative" than "quantitative".

    Android is aware about different "application contexts", TOP_APP vs
    FOREGROUND is just an example (there are others).
    Thus, the run-time has the knowledge about the "qualitative
    responsiveness" required by each context.

    Moreover, Andoid integrators knows about the specific HW they are
    targeting. This knowledge in addition to the "application
    contexts", in our experience, it allows Android to feed valuable
    input to both the scheduler and schedutil.

    Of course, as Joel pointed out in his previous response,
    responsiveness has also a "quantitative" definition, where "jank
    frames" is the main metric in the Android world. With the help of the
    propose interface we provide a useful interface for integrators to
    tune their platform for the power-vs-performance trade-off they most
    like.

    > > What we propose is a "standard" interface to collect sensible
    > > information from "informed run-times" which can be used to:
    > >
    > > a) classify tasks according to the main optimization goals:
    > > performance boosting vs energy saving
    > >
    > > b) support a more dynamic tuning of kernel side behaviors, mainly
    > > OPPs selection and tasks placement
    > >
    > > Regarding this last point, this series specifically represents a
    > > proposal for the integration with schedutil. The main usages we are
    > > looking for in Android are:
    > >
    > > a) Boosting the OPP selected for certain critical tasks, with the goal
    > > to speed-up their completion regardless of (potential) energy impacts.
    > > A kind-of "race-to-idle" policy for certain tasks.
    >
    > It looks like this could be addressed by adding a "this task should
    > race to idle" flag too.

    With the proposed interface we don't need an additional flag. If you
    set capacity_min=capacity_max=1024 then you are informing schedutil,
    and the scheduler as well, that this task would like to race-to-idle.

    I say "would like" because here we are not proposing a mandatory
    interface but we are still in the domain of "best effort" guarantees.

    > > b) Capping the OPP selection for certain non critical tasks, which is
    > > a major concerns especially for RT tasks in mobile context, but
    > > it also apply to FAIR tasks representing background activities.
    >
    > Well, is the information on how much CPU capacity assign to those
    > tasks really there in user space? What's the source of it if so?

    I think my previous comment, two paragraphs above, should have
    contributed to address this question.

    I'm still wondering if you are after a formal, scientific and
    mathematical definition of CPU capacity demands?
    Because in that case it's worth to stress that this is not the aim of
    the proposed interface.

    If you have such detailed information you are probably better
    positioned to got for a different solution, perhaps using DEADLINE.
    If instead you are dealing with FAIR tasks but still find not
    sufficient the (completely application-context transparent) in-kernel
    utilization tracking mechanism, than you can give value to any kind of
    user-space input about tasks requirements in each and every instant.

    Notice that these requirements are not set by tasks themselves but
    instead they come from the run-time knowledge.
    Thus, the main point is not "how to precisely measure CPU demands" but
    how to feed additional and useful _context sensitive_ information from
    user-space to kernel-space.

    > >> I gather that there is some experience with the current EAS implementation
    > >> there, so I wonder how this work is related to that.
    > >
    > > You right. We started developing a task boosting strategy a couple of
    > > years ago. The first implementation we did is what is currently in use
    > > by the EAS version in used on Pixel smartphones.
    > >
    > > Since the beginning our attitude has always been "mainline first".
    > > However, we found it extremely valuable to proof both interface's
    > > design and feature's benefits on real devices. That's why we keep
    > > backporting these bits on different Android kernels.
    > >
    > > Google, which primary representatives are in CC, is also quite focused
    > > on using mainline solutions for their current and future solutions.
    > > That's why, after the release of the Pixel devices end of last year,
    > > we refreshed and posted the proposal on LKML [1] and collected a first
    > > run of valuable feedbacks at LCP [2].
    >
    > Thanks for the info, but my question was more about how it was related
    > from the technical angle. IOW, there surely is some experience
    > related to how user space can deal with energy problems and I would
    > expect that experience to be an important factor in designing a kernel
    > interface for that user space, so I wonder if any particular needs of
    > the Android user space are addressed here.

    We are not addressing specific needs of the Android user-space,
    although we used Android as our main design and testing support
    vehicle.
    Still, the concepts covered by this proposal aims to be suitable for a
    better integration of each "informed run-times" running on top of the
    Linux kernel.

    > I'm not intimately familiar with Android, so I guess I would like to
    > be educated somewhat on that. :-)

    Android is just one of such possible run-times, and a notable
    representative of the mobile world.

    ChromeOS is another notable potential user, which is mainly
    representative of the laptops/clamshell world.

    Finally, every "container manager", mainly used in server domain,
    can potentially get benefits from the proposed interface (e.g.
    kubernets).

    The point here is that we have many different instances of user-space
    run-times which know a lot more about the "user-space contexts" than
    what we can aim to figure out by just working in kernel-space.

    What we propose is a simple, best-effort and generic interface to feed
    some of these information to kernel-space, thus supporting and
    integrating already available policies and mechanisms.

    > > This posting is an expression of the feedbacks collected so far and
    > > the main goal for us are:
    > > 1) validate once more the soundness of a scheduler-driven run-time
    > > power-performance control which is based on information collected
    > > from informed run-time
    > > 2) get an agreement on whether the current interface can be considered
    > > sufficiently "mainline friendly" to have a chance to get merged
    > > 3) rework/refactor what is required if point 2 is not (yet) satisfied
    >
    > My definition of "mainline friendly" may be different from a someone
    > else's one, but I usually want to know two things:
    > 1. What problem exactly is at hand.

    Feed "context aware" information about tasks requirements from
    "informed run-times" to kernel-space to integrate/improve existing
    decision policies for OPPs selections and tasks placement.

    > 2. What alternative ways of addressing it have been considered and

    We initially considered and evaluated what was possible to achieve by
    just using existing APIs.
    For example, we considered different combinations of:

    - tuning task-affinity: which sounds too much like scheduling from
    user-space and does not have biasing on OPPs selection.

    - tuning tasks-priorities: which is a concept mainly devoted to
    partitioning of the available bandwidth among RUNNABLE tasks within
    the same CPU.

    - tuning 'cpusets' and/or 'cpu' controllers: which can be used to bias
    task placement but still it sounds like scheduling from user-space
    and they are missing the biasing on OPPs selection.

    All these interfaces was not completely satisfying mainly because it
    seemed to abuse their usage for a different scope.

    Since the main goals are to bias OPP selection and tasks placement
    based on application context, what we identified _initially_ was a
    new CGroup based interface to tag tasks with a "boost" value.
    That proposal [1] has been considered not suitable for a proper
    kernel integration and thus, discussing with PeterZ, Tejun and PaulT
    we identified a different proposal [2] which is what this series
    implements.

    > why the particular one proposed has been chosen over the other ones.

    The current proposal has been chosen because:

    1) it satisfy the main goal to have a simple interface which allows
    "informed run-time" (like Android but not limited to it) to feed
    "context aware" information related to user-space applications.

    2) it allows to use this information to bias existing policies for
    both "OPP selection" (presented in this series) as well as "task
    placement" (as an extension on top of this series).

    3) it extend the existing CPU controller, which is already devoted to
    control the available CPU bandwidth, thus allowing for a consistent
    view on how this resource is allocated to tasks.

    4) it does not enforce by default any new/different behaviors (for
    example on OPP selection) but it just open possibilities for finer
    tuning whenever necessary.

    5) it has almost negligible run-time overhead, mainly defined by the
    complexity of a couple of RBTree operations per each task
    wakeup/suspend.

    > At the moment I don't feel like I have enough information in both aspects.

    Hope the previous points cast some light on both aspects.

    > For example, if you said "Android wants to do XYZ because of ABC and
    > that's how we want to make that possible, and it also could be done in
    > the other GHJ ways, but they are not attractive and here's why etc"
    > that would help quite a bit from my POV.

    Main issue for others solutions we evaluated so far is that they are
    missing a clean and simple interface to express "context awareness"
    at a task group level.

    CGroups is the Linux framework devoted to the collection and tracking
    of task group's properties. What we propose leverage this concept by
    extending it just as much as required to support the dual goal of
    biasing "OPPs selection" and "tasks placement" without really
    requiring to re-implement these concepts in user-space.

    Do you see other possible solutions?

    > > It's worth to notice that these bits are completely independent from
    > > EAS. OPP biasing (i.e. capping/boosting) is a feature which stand by
    > > itself and it can be quite useful in many different scenarios where
    > > EAS is not used at all. A simple example is making schedutil to behave
    > > concurrently like the powersave governor for certain tasks and the
    > > performance governor for other tasks.
    >
    > That's fine in theory, but honestly an interface like this will be a
    > maintenance burden and adding it just because it may be useful to
    > somebody sounds not serious enough.

    Actually, it is already useful to "someone". Google is using something
    similar on Pixel devices and in the future it will be likely adopted
    by other smartphones.

    Here we are just trying to push it mainline to make it available also
    to all the other potential clients I've described before.

    > IOW, I'd like to be able to say "This is going to be used by user
    > space X to do A and that's how etc" is somebody asks me about that
    > which honestly I can't at this point.

    In that case, again I think we have a strong case for "this is going
    to be used by".

    > > As a final remark, this series is going to be a discussion topic in
    > > the upcoming OSPM summit [3]. It would be nice if we can get there
    > > with a sufficient knowledge of the main goals and the current status.
    >
    > I'm not sure what you mean here, sorry.

    Just that I like this discussion and I would like to get some sort of
    initial agreement at least on basic concepts, requirements and
    use-cases before OSPM.

    That would allow us to be more active on the technical details side
    during the summit and, hopefully, come to the definition of a roadmap
    detailing the required steps to get merged a suitable interface,
    whether is the one proposed by this series or another achieving the
    same goals.

    [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/10/27/503
    [2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/11/25/342

    --
    #include <best/regards.h>

    Patrick Bellasi

      Last update: 2017-03-16 13:24    [W:3.184 / U:0.216 seconds]