SubjectRe: srcu: BUG in __synchronize_srcu
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:47:02AM -0700, Lance Roy wrote:
> I am not sure how the rcu_scheduler_active changes in __synchronize_srcu work,
> but there seem to be a few problems in them. First,
> "if (done && likely(!driving))" on line 453 doesn't appear to ever happen,
> as driving doesn't get set to false when srcu_reschedule is called. This seems
> like it could cause a race condition if another thread notices that ->running is
> false, adds itself to the queue, set ->running to true, and starts on its own
> grace period before the first thread acquires the lock again on line 469. Then
> the first thread will then acquire the lock, set running to false, and release
> the lock, resulting in an invalid state where ->running is false but the second
> thread is still trying to finish its grace period.
>
> Second, the while loop on line 455 seems to violate to rule that ->running
> shouldn't be false when there are entries in the queue. If a second thread adds
> itself to the queue while the first thread is driving SRCU inside that loop, and
> then the first thread finishes its own grace period and quits the loop, it will
> set ->running to false even though there is still a thread on the queue.
>
> The second issue requires rcu_scheduler_active to be RCU_SCHEDULER_INIT to
> occur, and as I don't what the assumptions during RCU_SCHEDULER_INIT are I don't
> know if it is actually a problem, but the first issue looks like it could occur
> at any time.

Thank you for looking into this!

I determined that my patch-order strategy was flawed, as it required
me to rewrite the mid-boot functionality several times. I therefore
removed the mid-boot commits. I will add them in later, but they will
use a rather different approach based on a grace-period sequence number
similar to that used by the expedited grace periods.

Which should also teach me to be less aggressive about pushing new code
to -next. For a few weeks, anyway. ;-)

Thanx, Paul

> [...]
> > and replace the "static struct srcu_struct srcu" with:
>

> > DEFINE_STATIC_SRCU(srcu);
> >
> > But this might require changing the name -- I vaguely recall some
> > strangeness where the names of statically defined per-CPU variables need
> > to be globally unique even when static. Easy enough to do, though.
> > Might need a similar change to the "srcu" instances defined in vmd.c
> > and kvm_host.h -- assuming that this change helps.
> >
> > Another possibility is that something in SRCU is messing with either the
> > queues or the ->running field without holding ->queue_lock. And that does
> > seem to be happening -- srcu_advance_batches() invokes rcu_batch_move()
> > without holding anything. Which seems like it could cause trouble
> > if someone else was invoking synchronize_srcu() concurrently. Those
> > particular invocations might be safe due to access only by a single
> > kthread/workqueue, given that all updates to ->batch_queue are protected
> > by ->queue_lock (aside from initialization).
> >
> > But ->batch_check0 is updated by __synchronize_srcu(), though protected
> > by ->queue_lock, and only if ->running is false, and with both the
> > check and the update protected by the same ->queue_lock critical section.
> > If ->running is false, then the workqueue cannot be running, so it remains
> > to see if all other updates to ->batch_check0 are either with ->queue_lock
> > held and ->running false on the one hand or from the workqueue handler
> > on the other:
> >
> > srcu_collect_new() updates with ->queue_lock held, but does not check
> > ->running. It is invoked only from process_srcu(), which in
> > turn is invoked only as a workqueue handler. The work is queued
> > from:
> >
> > call_srcu(), which does so with ->queue_lock held having just
> > set ->running to true.
> >
> > srcu_reschedule(), which invokes it if there are non-empty
> > queues. This is invoked from __synchronize_srcu()
> > in the case where it has set ->running to true
> > after finding the queues empty, which should imply
> > no other instances.
> >
> > It is also invoked from process_srcu(), which is
> > invoked only as a workqueue handler. (Yay
> > recursive inquiry!)
> >
> > srcu_advance_batches() updates without locks held. It is invoked as
> > follows:
> >
> > __synchronize_srcu() in the case where ->running was set, which
> > as noted before excludes workqueue handlers.
> >
> > process_srcu() which as noted before is only invoked from
> > a workqueue handler.
> >
> > So an SRCU workqueue is invoked only from a workqueue handler, or from
> > some other task that transitioned ->running from false to true while
> > holding ->queuelock. There should therefore only be one SRCU workqueue
> > per srcu_struct, so this should be safe. Though I hope that it can
> > be simplified a bit. :-/
> >
> > So the only suggestion I have at the moment is static definition of
> > the "srcu" variable. Lai, Josh, Steve, Mathieu, anything I missed?

  Last update: 2017-03-14 17:22    [W:0.380 / U:0.052 seconds]