SubjectRe: [v3 3/5] coresight: add support for debug module
Hi Suzuki,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 02:29:53PM +0000, Suzuki K Poulose wrote:

[...]

> >>So we cannot really rely on the values in EDVIDSR which we use to make further decisions. So I
> >>am wondering if this is really guranteed to be useful.
> >
> >So this is caused by Software lock is locked?
> >
> >Section H8.4.1:
> >
> >"Reads and writes have no side-effects. A side-effect is where a
> >direct read or a direct write of a register creates
> >an indirect write of the same or another register. When the Software
> >Lock is locked, the indirect write does
> >not occur."
>
> Yes, thats correct, further :
>
> Section H9.2.32: EDPCSR
>
> "For a read of EDPCSRlo from the memory-mapped interface, if EDLSR.SLK == 1, meaning
> the Software Lock is locked, then the access has no side-effects. That is, EDCIDSR,
> EDVIDSR, and EDPCSRhi are unchanged."
>
> And since we do a CS_UNLOCK, that should be fine. Please ignore my comment.

Thanks a lot for confirmation.

[...]

> >>This could simply be :
> >> dev_info(dev, "Coresight debug-CPU%d initialized\n", drvdata->cpu);
> >>
> >>and get rid of the static string and the buffer, see below.
>
> Also we need pm_runtime_put() here to balance the pm_runtime_get_ from AMBA
> device probe. More on that below.

[...]

> Btw, I don't see any PM calls to make sure the power domain (at least the debug domain)
> is up, which could cause problems with accesses to some of these registers (leave alone the
> ones in CPU power domain), especially the EDPRSR. We could also do pm_runtime_get on the
> CPU's power domain, if the CPU is online, before we access the pcsr.

I will add pm_runtime_get/pm_runtime_put for apb clock.

But for CPU power domain, AFAIK this part is managed by PSCI but is not
controlled by pm_runtime_{put|get} pairs. So at beginning, we suggest
to use "nohlt" to ensure CPU power domain is enabled.

Please let me know if I miss some thing for this?

Thanks,
Leo Yan

  Last update: 2017-03-13 09:12    [W:0.066 / U:0.064 seconds]