SubjectRe: [LSF/MM TOPIC] do we really need PG_error at all?
On Mon, Feb 27 2017, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> My thought is that PG_error is definitely useful for applications to get
> correct errors back when doing write()/sync_file_range() so that they know
> there is an error in the data that _they_ wrote, rather than receiving an
> error for data that may have been written by another thread, and in turn
> clearing the error from another thread so it *doesn't* know it had a write
> error.

It might be useful in that way, but it is not currently used that way.
Such usage would be a change in visible behaviour.

sync_file_range() calls filemap_fdatawait_range(), which calls
filemap_check_errors().
If there have been any errors in the file recently, inside or outside
the range, the latter will return an error which will propagate up.

> As for stray sync() clearing PG_error from underneath an application, that
> shouldn't happen since filemap_fdatawait_keep_errors() doesn't clear errors
> and is used by device flushing code (fdatawait_one_bdev(), wait_sb_inodes()).

filemap_fdatawait_keep_errors() calls __filemap_fdatawait_range() which
clears PG_error on every page.
What it doesn't do is call filemap_check_errors(), and so doesn't clear
AS_ENOSPC or AS_EIO.

NeilBrown

  Last update: 2017-02-28 00:33    [W:0.082 / U:0.376 seconds]