SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Block pull request for- 4.11-rc1
On 02/24/2017 12:43 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Bart Van Assche
> <Bart.VanAssche@sandisk.com> wrote:
>>
>> So the crash is caused by an attempt to dereference address 0x6b6b6b6b6b6b6b6b
>> at offset 0x270. I think this means the crash is caused by a use-after-free.
>
> Yeah, that's POISON_FREE, and that might explain why you see crashes
> that others don't - you obviously have SLAB poisoning enabled. Jens
> may not have.
>
> %rdi is "struct mapped_device *md", which came from dm_softirq_done() doing
>
> struct dm_rq_target_io *tio = tio_from_request(rq);
> struct request *clone = tio->clone;
> int rw;
>
> if (!clone) {
> rq_end_stats(tio->md, rq);
> rw = rq_data_dir(rq);
> if (!rq->q->mq_ops)
> blk_end_request_all(rq, tio->error);
> else
> blk_mq_end_request(rq, tio->error);
> rq_completed(tio->md, rw, false);
> return;
> }
>
> so it's the 'tio' pointer that has been free'd. But it's worth noting
> that we did apparently successfully dereference "tio" earlier in that
> dm_softirq_done() *without* getting the poison value, so what I think
> might be going on is that the 'tio' thing gets free'd when the code
> does the blk_end_request_all()/blk_mq_end_request() call.
>
> Which makes sense - that ends the lifetime of the request, which in
> turn also ends the lifetime of the "tio_from_request()", no?
>
> So the fix may be as simple as just doing
>
> if (!clone) {
> struct mapped_device *md = tio->md;
>
> rq_end_stats(md, rq);
> rq_completed(md, rw, false);
> return;
> }
>
> because the 'mapped_device' pointer hopefully is still valid, it's
> just 'tio' that has been freed.
>
> Jens? Bart? Christoph? Somebody who knows this code should
> double-check my thinking above. I don't actually know the tio
> lifetimes, I'm just going by looking at how earlier accesses seemed to
> be fine (eg that "tio->clone" got us NULL, not a POISON_FREE pointer,
> for example).

I think that is spot on. With the request changes for CDBs, for non
blk-mq, we know also carry the payload after the request. But since
blk-mq never frees the request, the above use-after-free with poison
will only happen for !mq. Caching 'md' and avoiding a dereference of
'tio' after calling blk_end_request_all() will likely fix it.

Bart, can you test that?

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2017-02-24 21:10    [W:1.935 / U:0.000 seconds]