SubjectRe: USB: hub: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in usb_hub_clear_tt_buffer()

>>> A call stack doesn't tell you which device was being handled.
>>
>> Do you find a default Linux allocation failure report insufficient then?
>>
>> Would you like to to achieve that the requested information can be determined
>> from a backtrace?
>
> It is not practical to do this.

I imagine that this depends on details if a backtrace could eventually
be configured for your specific needs.

> The memory allocation routines do not for what purpose
> the memory is being allocated;

Do you want an improved accounting for these purposes?

> hence when a failure occurs they cannot tell what device
> (or other part of the system) will be affected.

I know that other programs can provide dumps for function call
stacks where the parameters which were passed in previous calls
could be decoded to some degree.

> That's why we have a secondary error message.

I am curious on how the relevance of such messages will be interpreted
by other developers in this software area.

Regards,
Markus

  Last update: 2017-12-07 14:42    [W:0.082 / U:0.264 seconds]