SubjectRe: [RFC] vfio/type1: Add IOVA_RANGE capability support
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 13:55:33 +0100
Pierre Morel <pmorel@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 06/12/2017 17:15, Shameerali Kolothum Thodi wrote:
> > Hi Pierre,

I think your suggestion boils down to mirroring the IOMMU API of
exposing base geometry and reserved ranges more directly to userspace.
I don't think that creates a stable user API. Users would need to be
updated in lockstep for new types of reserved ranges in order to
exclude them from the base geometry. The vfio kernel code (proposed
in this patch) can be updated in lockstep as it is part of the kernel.
Therefore the idea here is that this capability exposes only apertures
which are available for standard IOVA map and unmap requests. It's
vfio in the host kernel that's responsible for pruning out new reserved
types.

Beyond that, we can certainly add new capabilities that identify
certain types of reserved areas within the IOVA gaps of the above
capability. This allows the vfio API to be extended in a compatible
way for users, the IOVA ranges capability accounts for all types of
special ranges that aren't available for standard IOVA mappings and
address limitations of the IOMMU itself, then new capabilities can be
added if there's a need to expose specific types of excluded ranges to
the user. Thanks,

Alex

  Last update: 2017-12-07 19:37    [W:0.058 / U:0.684 seconds]