    SubjectRe: omapfb/dss: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in three functions
    > How many times have I told you to include the reason for your patches
    > in your proposed commit message?

    Will it be useful to look again at the involved circumstances?

    > Too often.

    Did I answer any concerns partly?

    > Many people do not know that a generic kmalloc does a dump_stack() on OOM.

    Do you see a need to represent such information better?

    Is it expected that the function “devm_kzalloc” has got a similar property?

    > That information should be part of the commit message.

    How do you think about to share it also from any reference documentation
    in a clearer way?

    Do we stumble on a target conflict in this case?

    I am generally trying to improve the software situation to some degree.
    I prefer then to work with safe information sources.
    Unfortunately, I might have not reached a desired confidence level here
    for a more detailed commit message. I assume that software development
    efforts could increase in significant ways if something should be improved
    further in a direction I hope. But this could mean that time frames will
    grow for corresponding clarifications.

    * Does such a situation block progress on the deletion of other remaining
    questionable error messages?

    * Would you like to increase the software development attention anyhow?

    By the way:
    It seems that my update suggestion for the directory “omapfb/dss”
    could be superseded by the patch “omapfb: dss: Do not duplicate features data”
    from Ladislav Michl.
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10082027/
    https://lkml.kernel.org/r/<20171129123308.GA26578@lenoch>

    Regards,
    Markus

      Last update: 2017-12-03 19:22    [W:3.189 / U:0.056 seconds]