SubjectRe: [RFC] syzbot process
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 5:22 AM, Andrey Ryabinin <ryabinin.a.a@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> instead of
>> From: syzbot <syzkaller@googlegroups.com>
>>
>> make it
>> From: syzbot-{hash} <syzkaller@googlegroups.com>
>
> That is probably good, but people drop the name all the time.
>
> But with a very simple tweak, I think this would be close to perfect:
> put the hash in the original email instead, and use "+" instead of
> "-", because that's the standard email ("latter part doesn't matter").
> Skip the proper name part entirely, since it doesn't really add
> anything.
>
> And then make it show up in the "Cc:" part or "Reported-by:", so it
> would just look something like
>
> Reported-by: syzkaller+1234abc@googlegroups.com
>
> and you're all done. I think that would be easiest for us to track
> (just one email that we're supposed to put in the commit message
> _anyway_), and I hope/think that all email clients and servers will
> still maintain the original full "syzkaller+xyz" part of the email, so
> it doesn't get lost.
>
> Because the "proper name" part definitely does get lost occasionally.
> I'm not sure why it happens, but it definitely happens quite often.

Hi Linus,

This sound like a plan. I like that we piggy-back on the existing
process so _theoretically_ don't increase burden on developers. Also
may probably help improving general practice of properly crediting
people (which is now at around 50% from our experience). So new emails
now include (and that's also actual email sender):

IMPORTANT: if you fix the bug, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: syzbot+4396883fa8c4f64e0175@syzkaller.appspotmail.com
It will help syzbot understand when the bug is fixed. See footer for details.
If you forward the report, please keep this part and the footer.

Thanks

  Last update: 2017-12-28 11:15    [W:0.074 / U:0.176 seconds]