SubjectRe: pinctrl-amd: What hardware does it apply to?
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:37:32AM +1000, Andrew Cooks wrote:

> >> I didn't understand anything of what you just wrote.
> >> I am basically ignorant when it comes to ACPI details.
> >>
> >> So let's CC the GPIO ACPI maintainer, Mika Westerberg.
> >
> > If the hardware is not the same that is already supported by the
> > pinctrl-amd, then you definitely should allocate a new separate ACPI
> > _HID for it. That's pretty much what we do with every new SoC because
> > they typically don't have identical pin lists among other things.
> >

> Right. I wonder if my reasons for objecting to using ACPI _HID in this
> way (as the existing drivers do) are being overlooked, or if there's
> something missing in my understanding.

No, we don't object valid ACPI IDs. Where did you learn that?

> Given the HID "AMDI0030", it is difficult for anyone besides AMD to
> determine what SoC that is intended to match. Joe Random Developer
> would not be able to find the datasheet for the SoC and verify that
> this driver works correctly, or whether it is used by any firmware at
> all.
>
> However, my specific problem is the inverse. Given a SoC without
> vendor-supplied HID or DSDT ASL (ie. I'm writing the DSDT ASL), I
> don't know what HID to allocate for the driver and DSDT, and I'm too
> low in the food chain to allocate the one true HID for this SoC that
> every firmware developer and driver developer should use. This is not
> a problem for out-of-tree patches, but it blocks me from contributing
> usable support for a new SoC.

I think there is a process that allows you to allocate _HID for your
device buried somewhere in UEFI forums.

There is also PRP0001 _HID that can be used with Device Tree compatible
devices (see Documentation/acpi/enumeration.txt that allows you to use
DT compatible string instead.

> So my objection is that the coupling between the driver and ACPI
> firmware, caused by these special HID strings, is both unnecessary and
> disempowering. If an appropriate ID register exists in the MMIO space,
> I think that would solve this issue.

Well, in order to access the MMIO your device needs to be enumerated by
the kernel. In order to load a driver for the device you need to
have some sort of identifier for the thing. Yes, you can also create
a "board file" that has this information and then creates platform
device for your driver but that sort of things we try to avoid by using
firmware to describe devices.

  Last update: 2017-12-22 07:06    [W:0.041 / U:0.808 seconds]