SubjectRe: Detecting RWF_NOWAIT support

On 12/18/2017 05:28 AM, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:

> On 12/16/2017 08:49 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> Here is the return codes for RWF_NOWAIT
>>> EINVAL - not supported (older kernel)
>>> EOPNOTSUPP - not supported
>>> EAGAIN - supported but could not complete because I/O will be delayed
>> Which of these are returned from io_submit() and which are returned in
>> the iocb?
> These are returned in iocb.

Thanks.

>>> 0 - supported and I/O completed (success).

>>> Yes, the support is per filesystem. So, the application must know if the
>>> filesystem supports it, possibly by performing a small I/O.
>> So the application must know about filesystem mount points, and be
>> prepared to create a file and try to write it (in case the filesystem is
>> empty) or alter its behavior during runtime depending on the errors it
>> sees.
> Well yes. Hopefully, the application knows what it is doing when it
> performs RWF_NOWAIT.

This type of interface makes it very hard to consume new kernel
facilities in a backward compatible way. The kernel should advertise
what support it provides; for example this support could be advertised
via statx(2).

For examples of facilities that advertise their capabilities, see
membarrier(2) and KVM.

  Last update: 2017-12-18 08:38    [W:0.056 / U:0.028 seconds]