SubjectRe: Linux 4.15-rc2: Regression in resume from ACPI S3
On Sun, 2017-12-10 at 12:30 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> >

> > Confirmed, revert fixes it. You see how it moves
> > fix_processor_context
> > around #ifdef CONFIG_X86_32 block? And how people forget 32-bit
> > machines exist? Aha.
> Yeah, people do.
>
> Andy?
>

> > Which brings me to .. various people do automated testing of
> > kernel. Testing 32-bit kernel for boot, and both 32-bit and 64-bit
> > for
> > boot and suspend would be very nice. The last item is not hard,
> > either:
> >
> > sudo rtcwake -l -m mem -s 5
> >
> > ...should take 10 seconds or so.
> I'm told 0day does *some* suspend/resume testing, but I think it's
> pretty limited, partly because the kinds of machines it primarily
> works on don't really support suspend/resume at all.

currently, we're running suspend test on 1 platform only, with 64 bit
kernel. suspend test will be enabled on more platforms (laptops) in
next two weeks.

I will check why it does not find the first regression introduced by
ca37e57bbe0c ("x86/entry/64: Add missing irqflags tracing to
native_load_gs_index()").

> I'm also not sure
> just how many of those machines are 32-bit at all..

for this, I suppose it can be reproduced if we use 32-bit kernel and
rootfs, right? Then it's easier to enable this in 0Day.

thanks,
rui

> But I'm adding Zhang Rui to the cc, to see if my recollection is
> right.
>
> Because you're right, more suspend/resume automated testing would be
> good to have. And yes, people test mainly 64-bit these days.
>
> Also, I'm not even sure what the 0day rules are for just plain
> mainline. I don't tend to see a lot of breakage reports, even though
> I'd expect to. This came in from the x86 trees (and those do their
> own
> tests too, but probably not suspend/resume either), but it hit my
> tree
> fairly soon after going into the x86 -tip trees.
>
>             Linus

  Last update: 2017-12-11 15:10    [W:0.145 / U:0.656 seconds]