SubjectRe: [bisected] system hang after boot
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 02:00:28PM +0100, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 12:54:56 +0000
> Will Deacon <will.deacon@arm.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 01:49:18PM +0100, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:

> > > Grepping for 'break_lock' the two locking blueprints are the only places
> > > where the field is written to. Unless I am blind, the associated unlock
> > > functions do *not* reset 'break_lock'.
> > >
> > > Without the raw_##op##_can_lock(lock) check the first of the blueprints
> > > now looks like this:
> > >
> > > void __lockfunc __raw_##op##_lock(locktype##_t *lock) \
> > > { \
> > > for (;;) { \
> > > preempt_disable(); \
> > > if (likely(do_raw_##op##_trylock(lock))) \
> > > break; \
> > > preempt_enable(); \
> > > \
> > > if (!(lock)->break_lock) \
> > > (lock)->break_lock = 1; \
> > > while ((lock)->break_lock) \
> > > arch_##op##_relax(&lock->raw_lock); \
> > > } \
> > > (lock)->break_lock = 0; \
> > > } \
> > >
> > > All it takes to create an endless loop is two CPUs, the first acquired the
> > > lock and the second tries to get the lock. After the unsuccessful trylock
> > > of the second CPU, the first CPU releases the lock and never tries to take
> > > it again. The second CPU will be stuck in an endless loop.
> >
> > Yes, it basically relies on the lock holder never winning that race.
> > However, Peter's use-case just needs the lock-holder to be able to detect
> > contention (which is always best-effort anyway), so I think we can make that
> > "work" by removing the while loop above (see my subsequent diff sent to
> > Sebastian).
>
> Well, what race? The lock hold just has to hold the lock while another CPU
> tries to get it. There is no particular bad timing involved, just a little
> bit of contention is enough.

Yes, you're right. I keep forgetting that break_lock isn't cleared on
unlock.

> And yes, I think removing the while loop on break_lock will work.
>
> > It's still questionable, because on a machine with store-buffers you really
> > want to order writes to break_lock against something else, but it might
> > happen to fall out depending on the details of the trylock() implementation.
>
> Even more, if the compiler "proves" that nobody writes to break_lock it can
> convert that to "while (1)" loop.

break_lock should be annotated (at least) with READ_ONCE/WRITE_ONCE, which
should prevent that from happening.

> > > I guess my best course of action is to remove GENERIC_LOCKBREAK from
> > > arch/s390/Kconfig to avoid this construct altogether. Let us see what
> > > breaks if I do that ..
> >
> > We could just consider ripping out GENERIC_LOCKBREAK entirely, but I was
> > hoping we could get a simpler fix in for now.
>
> I would opt for removing it entirely.

I'll cook a patch series, with the first patch just removing the while loop
and subsequent patches removing the stuff altogether.

Will

  Last update: 2017-11-27 14:11    [W:0.590 / U:0.752 seconds]