SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] License cleanup: add SPDX license identifiers to some kernel files
On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:52:23AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > For .h files, we had to use /* */
>
> That should only be true for the uapi files (because they may
> encounter old compilers), not for *.h files in general, I feel.

Oh I wish that were the case :(

Thomas and I fought with the vdso build logic[1], and some other
arch-specific stuff for a good day trying to track down all of the
individual .h files that were getting pulled in by gcc to spit out a .S
file. We eventually just gave up trying to fix them all up one by one,
the combinations were just too large. By using /* */ for all .h files,
all build combinations worked just fine automatically, no special-casing
needed.

That was _just_ with the first patch in the series applied, no UAPI file
modifications at all. Our build system is crazy...

thanks,

greg k-h

[1] I found a bug where if any vdso.S files fail to build, the build
system keeps on going just fine. Still can't figure out how to fix
that, obviously it's not something that ever usually happens. I now
know why anyone who ever touches those files are driven to drink...

  Last update: 2017-11-02 19:02    [W:0.038 / U:1.876 seconds]