    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] usercopy whitelisting for v4.15-rc1
    On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Linus Torvalds
    <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > As long as you see your hardening efforts primarily as a "let me kill
    > the machine/process on bad behavior", I will stop taking those shit
    > patches.

    Yes, this is entirely clear. This is why I adjusted this series (in
    multiple places) to use WARN, etc etc. And why I went to great lengths
    to document the rationale, effects, and alloc/use paths so when
    something went wrong it would be easy to see what was happening and
    why.

    > So the hardening efforts should instead _start_ from the standpoint of
    > "let's warn about what looks dangerous, and maybe in a _year_ when
    > we've warned for a long time, and we are confident that we've actually
    > caught all the normal cases, _then_ we can start taking more drastic
    > measures".

    Understood: I think my main flaw in helping bring these defenses to
    the kernel has been thinking they can be fully tested during a single
    development cycle, and this mistake was made quite clear this cycle,
    which is why I adjusted the series like I did.

    > Right now, the biggest problem for me is that the whole thing makes me
    > uncomfortable, because I think the people involved are coming from a
    > completely unacceptable model to begin with.
    >
    > And we had this exact issue with the _previous_ user mode access
    > hardening. People apparently didn't learn a goddamn thing.

    Well, I'd like to think I did learn something, since I fixed up this
    series _before_ you yelled at me. :)

    I'll make further adjustments and try again for v4.16.

    -Kees

    --
    Kees Cook
    Pixel Security

      Last update: 2017-11-17 23:21    [W:3.935 / U:0.040 seconds]