SubjectRe: [HMM-v25 19/19] mm/hmm: add new helper to hotplug CDM memory region v3
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Bob Liu <liubo95@huawei.com> wrote:
>> On 2017/9/8 1:27, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> [..]
>>> No this are 2 orthogonal thing, they do not conflict with each others quite
>>> the contrary. HMM (the CDM part is no different) is a set of helpers, see
>>> it as a toolbox, for device driver.
>>>
>>> HMAT is a way for firmware to report memory resources with more informations
>>> that just range of physical address. HMAT is specific to platform that rely
>>> on ACPI. HMAT does not provide any helpers to manage these memory.
>>>
>>> So a device driver can get informations about device memory from HMAT and then
>>> use HMM to help in managing and using this memory.
>>>

>> Yes, but as Balbir mentioned requires :
>> 1. Don't online the memory as a NUMA node
>> 2. Use the HMM-CDM API's to map the memory to ZONE DEVICE via the driver
>>
>> And I'm not sure whether Intel going to use this HMM-CDM based method for their "target domain" memory ?
>> Or they prefer to NUMA approach? Ross? Dan?
>
> The starting / strawman proposal for performance differentiated memory
> ranges is to get platform firmware to mark them reserved by default.
> Then, after we parse the HMAT, make them available via the device-dax
> mechanism so that applications that need 100% guaranteed access to
> these potentially high-value / limited-capacity ranges can be sure to
> get them by default, i.e. before any random kernel objects are placed
> in them. Otherwise, if there are no dedicated users for the memory
> ranges via device-dax, or they don't need the total capacity, we want
> to hotplug that memory into the general purpose memory allocator with
> a numa node number so typical numactl and memory-management flows are
> enabled.
>
> Ideally this would not be specific to HMAT and any agent that knows
> differentiated performance characteristics of a memory range could use
> this scheme.

@Dan/Ross

With this approach, in a SVM environment, if you would want a PRI(page
grant) request to get satisfied from this HMAT-indexed memory node,
then do you think we could make that happen. If yes, is that something
you guys are currently working on.

Chetan

  Last update: 2017-11-17 17:18    [W:1.693 / U:1.000 seconds]