SubjectRe: Proposal: rename tpm1_eventlog.c and tpm2_eventlog.c

On 10/25/2017 03:51 AM, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> I noticed when making slides for KS that the naming for event log stuff
> that the naming is so broken that it is hard to understand the code.
> Here it really would make sense to have a patch set just to clean up the
> cruft.
>
> Random examples of more senseful naming:
>
> * tpm2_bios_measurements_start() should be rather something like
> tpm_eventlog_seq_agile_start().
> * tpm_bios_measurements_start() should be rather something like
> tpm_eventlog_seq_sha1_start().
BIOS eventlog being exposed as securityfs files are named as
ascii_bios_measurements and binary_bios_measurements.
I thought that the function names were originally written corresponding
to the files they write into. In that context, I didn't find them
misleading.

Still if we want to rename, I think having tpm_eventlog_seq_sha1_start() for
TPM1.2 might be confusing as even TPM2.0 supports SHA1. And there might
be systems which use only SHA1 even in the case of TPM2.0. I was
thinking if
we can just call them as tpm2_eventlog_seq_start() and
tpm1_eventlog_seq_start().
> Corresponding structs would be tpm_eventlog_agile_seq_ops and
> tpm_eventlog_sha1_seq_ops.
>
> Finally, I would place the file operations, being so complicated, in
> separate files:
>
> * tpm_eventlog_seq_sha1.c
> * tpm_eventlog_seq_eventlog.c
>
> And move all the management code that is right now illogically located
> in tpm1_eventlog.c to tpm_eventlog.c that would be the entry point for
> the event log.
By management code, do you mean the functions common to both TPM1.2 and
TPM2.0 as:

tpm_bios_measurements_open()
tpm_read_log()
tpm_bios_log_setup()
tpm_bios_log_teardown()

So, do you mean to move these to tpm_eventlog.c and keep only specific
functions in
tpm1_eventlog.c and tpm2_eventlog.c ? If so, then yeah I also agree with
this.

Thanks & Regards,
   - Nayna
> The code is laid out so badly right now that I have really hard time
> understanding it if I haven't looked at it within last couple of weeks.
> It's really a trainwreck at the moment. We must clean up it up fast.
>
> Getting this done will help me to review patches to this area faster
> so it would be a benefit for everyone. The current structure makes every
> event log patch a pain to review.
>
> /Jarkko

  Last update: 2017-10-30 19:36    [W:0.073 / U:0.044 seconds]