SubjectRe: [Tech-board-discuss] [Ksummit-discuss] Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board election results 2017
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> On 10/26/17 00:14, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>>
>>> It was a very close election, with the next candidate on the list
>>> receiving 36 votes.
>>
>> Do we have a procedure in place in case the tie that we only avoided by one
>> vote would have happened ?
>>

> In that case thw winner(s) would be drawn randomly. The scanning tool
> scripts actually assigns each candidate a tiebreaker number via
> /dev/urandom, but we have not yet decided if we would do that or, for
> example, a physical coin toss.

Once upon a time, Heinlein, it was, I think, suggested that a
candidate for office be
picked entirely randomly from the pool. The lottery concept - the idea
that if you ran,
you had a small chance of serving no matter the popular vote - encouraged
participation.