    SubjectRe: [RFC 00/19] KVM: s390/crypto/vfio: guest dedicated crypto adapters
    On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:38:45 -0400
    Tony Krowiak <akrowiak@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

    > Overview:
    > --------
    > An adjunct processor (AP) facility is an IBM Z cryptographic facility. The
    > AP facility is comprised of three AP instructions and from 1 to 256 AP
    > adapter cards. The design takes advantage of the interpretive execution mode
    > provided by the SIE architecture. With interpretive execution mode, the AP
    > instructions executed on the guest are interpreted by the hardware. This
    > allows guests direct access to AP adapter cards. The first goal of this
    > patch series is to provide direct access by a KVM guest to an AP as a
    > pass-through device. The second goal is to provide administrators with the
    > means to configure KVM guests to grant direct access to AP facilities
    > assigned to the LPAR in which the host linux system is running.
    >
    > To facilitate the comprehension of the design, let's present an overview of
    > the AP architecture.

    I have not yet looked at the patches (and I'm not sure whether I'll be
    able to do so until after the KVM Forum), but I think this also needs
    some explanation under Documentation/, so people can still make sense
    of it in the future.

      Last update: 2017-10-16 12:06    [W:4.057 / U:0.196 seconds]