SubjectRe: v4.10-rc4 to v4.10-rc5: battery regression on Nokia N900
On Friday 27 January 2017 11:39:42 Zhang Rui wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-01-26 at 18:03 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> > > If this is the case, you'd better set
> > > (struct thermal_zone_params)->no_hwmon when registering the thermal
> > > zone device, in which case, the hwmon device will not be created.
> > >
> > > In fact, I'd prefer to change tzp->no_hwmon to tzp->hwmon to not
> > > create
> > > hwmon I/F by default, and see if there is anyone using it. If yes,
> > > we
> > > can set the flag in soc thermal driver, explicitly, at meantime, a
> > > hwmon compatible name is required.
> > >
> > > But one foreseeable result is that we may get bug reports from end
> > > user
> > > that some sensors (acpitz, etc) are gone in 'sensors' output. And
> > > TBH,
> > > I'm not quite sure if this can be counted as a regression or not.
> > >
> > That sounds like fun. Changing bq27200-0 to bq27200_0 is Forbidden by
> > the ABI Police, but taking the entire device away is ok.
> >
> No. IMO, it depends on if the interface is used or not.
> If hwmon I/F is used, we can not take it away, nor change its name.
> If thermal zone I/F is used, we can not change it's 'type' name to be
> compatible with new hwmon API.

And what about allowing driver (rx51_battery.ko) to set hwmon name to be
compatible with hwmon policy? Power supply name will be unchanged, but
hwmon name could be different (it is new API/ABI -- not used by anyone)
to fit into hwmon subsytem.

Or instead allowing driver to set name, what about fixing name in hwmon
subsystem to be compatible? (By fixing I mean to only fix hwmon name,
not power supply).

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

  Last update: 2017-01-27 09:36    [W:0.136 / U:0.208 seconds]