SubjectRe: [RFC v2 4/5] DT bindings documentation for Synopsys UDC platform driver
On 01/19/2017 02:36 PM, Scott Branden wrote:

>>> Even if you take the exact same block and put it in a different SoC,
>>> that's still an integration work that 99% of the time goes just fine
>>> because the validation worked great, and the 1% of the time where you
>>> need to capture an integration bug, you are glad this SoC-specific
>>> compatible string exists such that you can work around it in the driver.
>>
>> That's a very conservative estimate. Based on my experience, it's more
>> like 50/50, i.e., roughly half of the time we found SoC integration
>> specific quirks or workaround are needed.
>>
> 50% is an exaggeration for sure. Maybe a driver you are has that issue
> but that is not the case with most drivers. We have many IP blocks in
> the SoC - both internal and externally sourced IP. We integrate SP805
> timer driver into many SoCs and never specify a SoC specific
> compatibility string with it (nor should we).

Well, that's a good example where in premise, each SoC vendor
integrating such a peripheral from a third party should actually have
defined its own SoC/vendor compatible string to document the
integration. And you can sometimes see some vendors having to workaround
such essential peripherals and ending-up documenting compatible strings
(or close enough in the example at [1]).

[1]: http://www.spinics.net/lists/devicetree/msg159585.html

It's a bad example though in that it's an IP that came from ARM, so the
confidence level in getting the integration right is just higher
(typically above level 9000), because ripping apart a third party is
governed by strict architecture licensing agreements that usually
prevents people suffering from the Not Invented Here syndrome from
making damage.

> That being said - if your driver needs to know SoC specifics is should
> not need to have an SoC specific compatibility string added per driver.
> Why can your driver just not query that information from the upper level
> SoC specific info already present in device tree?

You could do that, but that just does not happen to be a common or
recommended practice AFAICT, although I could be just wrong here of course.

> Each SoC is already specified in device tree at the upper level already.
> Example:
> arch/arm/boot/dts/bcm7445.dtsi has this compatibility info already
> present in its device tree:
>
> compatible = "brcm,bcm7445", "brcm,brcmstb";
>
> If needed, a driver should query this info rather than adding SoC
> specific compatibility strings to every single device tree entry.

Or you could just put it in the compatible string list for a given
peripheral, and yes, this is a repetition of information that is already
there at a higher level from that particular node, but, it has the
advantage of making all this information self contained within that
node's context, and that's a good design goal.

> We should only add driver revision numbers as needed, not SoC specific
> names. That way drivers don't change when the (same revision) of the IP
> block is added to a new SoCs. And then if a SoC specific workaround is
> needed the upper level compatibility string can be queried should be
> utilized. It already exists today and is available for use to all drivers.

The point is to plan ahead for information that you *may*, but *wish*
you did not need.

Quite frankly, I don't think you are going to win any argument where you
don't add a SoC compatible string to the binding, because there are tons
of precedents and good practices that suggest doing it. You might as
well just do it, it's documented, it's there, if you end up using it or
not, that's totally up to the driver author.
--
Florian

  Last update: 2017-01-19 23:57    [W:0.053 / U:1.108 seconds]