    SubjectRe: [patch 3/3] PTP: add kvm PTP driver
    2017-01-18 12:50-0200, Marcelo Tosatti:
    > On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 03:02:23PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

    >> > Interesting. I wasn't aware that there is a new ioctl for measuring
    >> > the HW-sys offset. Adding support to chrony shouldn't be difficult.
    >> >
    >> > If I understand it correctly, PTP_SYS_OFFSET can be emulated on top of
    >> > PTP_SYS_OFFSET_PRECISE simply by copying the sys_realtime and device
    >> > fields to corresponding ts slots. The apparent delay will be zero, but
    >> > that's ok if the conversion is really accurate.
    >>
    >> Yes, for 1 sample only. Otherwise you'd have the same issue as in
    >> Marcelo's driver (the device aka guest timestamp from
    >> PTP_SYS_OFFSET_PRECISE would not be halfway between the system aka host
    >> timestamps), and your idea below could be applied.
    >>
    >> > I'm not sure if trying to do that in the opposite direction is a good
    >> > idea. An application using PTP_SYS_OFFSET_PRECISE may assume the
    >> > conversion is accurate and not include any delay/dispersion in an
    >> > estimate of the maximum error, which is needed in NTP for instance.
    >> >
    >> > If we know the host timestamp ts[1] is not in the middle between the
    >> > guests timestamps ts[0] and ts[2], but rather closer to ts[2], why not
    >> > simply shift ts[1] by (ts[2]-ts[0])/2 ?
    >

    >> Interesting idea! For this to work, KVM needs to implement
    >> getcrosstimestamp and ptp_chardev.c can then add an alternative
    >> implementation of PTP_SYS_OFFSET, based on precise cross timestamps.
    >>
    >> Something like
    >>
    >> for (i = 0; i <= sysoff->n_samples; i++) {
    >> // ... call getcrosststamp ...
    >> sysns = ktime_to_ns(xtstamp.sys_realtime);
    >> if (i > 0) {
    >> devns = ktime_to_ns(xtstamp.device);
    >> devns -= (sysns - prev_sysns) / 2;
    >> devts = ns_to_timespec(devns);
    >> pct->sec = devts.tv_sec;
    >> pct->nsec = devts.tv_nsec;
    >> pct++;
    >> }
    >> systs = ns_to_timespec(sysns);
    >> pct->sec = ts.tv_sec;
    >> pct->nsec = ts.tv_nsec;
    >> pct++;
    >> prev_sysns = sysns;
    >> }

    Nice. PTP_SYS_OFFSET seems to be mandatory, so this hunk could be
    upstreamable as a fallback for PTP devices that have getcrosststamp and
    not gettime64. KVM PTP would be the only driver using it so far.

    >> Marcelo, can you give it a try?
    >
    > Can convert fine, but problem is the simultaneous read
    > of host and guest clocks.
    >
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Paolo
    >
    > It seems to me anything else other than using a single TSC read
    > (for both host and guest clocks) is a poor PTP_SYS_OFFSET_PRECISE
    > implementation (because it would claim to be similar to ART, where
    > the timestamps are simultaneous), but not be.

    Yes, the guest should use the TSC returned by the hypercall to compute
    the corresponding guest time, which will allow us to know the
    host<->guest offset.

    Is this impossible to do with the current API?

    Thanks.

      Last update: 2017-01-18 16:35    [W:7.544 / U:0.012 seconds]