SubjectRe: x86-64: Maintain 16-byte stack alignment
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:51:10PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Herbert Xu
> <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 09:05:28AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm pretty sure we have random asm code that may not maintain a
> >> 16-byte stack alignment when it calls other code (including, in some
> >> cases, calling C code).
> >>
> >> So I'm not at all convinced that this is a good idea. We shouldn't
> >> expect 16-byte alignment to be something trustworthy.
> >
> > So what if we audited all the x86 assembly code to fix this? Would
> > it then be acceptable to do a 16-byte aligned stack?
> >
> > On the face of it it doesn't seem to be a huge amount of code
> > assuming they mostly live under arch/x86.
>
> The problem is that we have nasties like TRACE_IRQS_OFF. Performance
> doesn't really matter for these macros, so we could probably rig up a
> helper for forcibly align the stack there. Maybe
> FRAME_BEGIN_FORCE_ALIGN? I also think I'd rather not to modify
> pt_regs. We should just fix the small number of code paths that
> create a pt_regs and then call into C code to align the stack.
>
> But if we can't do this with automatic verification, then I'm not sure
> I want to do it at all. The asm is already more precarious than I'd
> like, and having a code path that is misaligned is asking for obscure
> bugs down the road.

For the entry code, could we just replace all calls with CALL_ALIGNED?
That might be less intrusive than trying to adjust all the pt_regs
accesses.

Then to ensure that nobody ever uses 'call' directly:

'#define call please-use-CALL-ALIGNED-instead-of-call'

I think that would be possible if CALL_ALIGNED were a ".macro".

--
Josh

  Last update: 2017-01-12 16:07    [W:0.140 / U:0.732 seconds]