SubjectRe: [Cocci] [RFC] coccicheck: add a test for repeat memory fetches
On Wednesday 11 January 2017 05:34 AM, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@lip6.fr> wrote:
>> OK, I have the impression that what you are looking for is the following,
>> that currently does not seem to work well. Still maybe it gives an idea.
>>
>> The basic pattern is the following sequence:
>>
>> 1. copy_from_user
>> 2. test on a field of the copied value
>> 3. another copy_from_user
>> 4. a use of the same field as tested in step 2 from the structure obtained
>> by the second copy_from_user or a function call with the structure as an
>> argument
>
> This looks pretty good!
>
>> In the case where the second copy_from_user stores the result in a
>> pointer, then a return with no reference of the tested field is also a
>> concern, unless, the pointer was already kfreed.
>
> I think sequence "2" above missing just looking at a direct value,
> like if instead of a field it was a u32. Also, should binop include
> "=="?
>
> And we need to add back in get_user() too... hmmm

May be having a separate script for get_user would be a good idea.
get_user needs few more tests than copy_from_user. Also, for the both
cases we can later add multi-function handling rules. And for the
get_user, may be combinational usage rule as well.

> -Kees

  Last update: 2017-01-11 06:24    [W:0.235 / U:3.824 seconds]