SubjectRE: [v11, 7/8] base: soc: introduce soc_device_match() interface
Date
Hi Anrd and Uffe,

Thank you for your comment.
Please see my comment inline.

Best regards,
Yangbo Lu

[Lu Yangbo-B47093] Oh, I'm sorry for my careless. Will correct it in next version.

> > > +
> > > +/*
> > > + * soc_device_match - identify the SoC in the machine
> > > + * @matches: zero-terminated array of possible matches
> >
> > Perhaps also express the constraint on the matching entries. As you
> > need at least one of the ->machine(), ->family(), ->revision() or
> > ->soc_id() callbacks implemented, right!?
>
> They are not callbacks, just strings. Having an empty entry indicates the
> end of the array, and this is not called.
>
> > > + *
> > > + * returns the first matching entry of the argument array, or NULL
> > > + * if none of them match.
> > > + *
> > > + * This function is meant as a helper in place of of_match_node()
> > > + * in cases where either no device tree is available or the
> > > + information
> > > + * in a device node is insufficient to identify a particular
> > > + variant
> > > + * by its compatible strings or other properties. For new devices,
> > > + * the DT binding should always provide unique compatible strings
> > > + * that allow the use of of_match_node() instead.
> > > + *
> > > + * The calling function can use the .data entry of the
> > > + * soc_device_attribute to pass a structure or function pointer for
> > > + * each entry.
> >
> > I don't get the use case behind this, could you elaborate?
> >
> > Perhaps we should postpone adding the .data entry until we actually
> > see a need for it?
>
> I think the interface is rather useless without a way to figure out which
> entry you got. Almost all users of of_match_node() actually use the
> returned ->data field, and I expect this to be the same here.
>
> > > + */
> > > +const struct soc_device_attribute *soc_device_match(
> > > + const struct soc_device_attribute *matches) {
> > > + struct device *dev;
> > > + int ret;
> > > +
> > > + for (ret = 0; ret == 0; matches++) {
> >
> > This loop looks a bit weird and unsafe.
>
> Ah, and I thought I was being clever ;-)
>
> > 1) Perhaps using a while loop makes this more readable?
> > 2) As this is an exported API, I guess validation of the ->matches
> > pointer needs to be done before accessing it.
>
> Sounds fine.

[Lu Yangbo-B47093] Ok, Will change this according to Uffe.
And actually there is issue with this for() when I verified it again this morning.
We will get matches++ rather than matches which is correct finally :)

> > > + if (!(matches->machine || matches->family ||
> > > + matches->revision || matches->soc_id))
> > > + return NULL;
> > > + dev = NULL;
> >
> > There's no need to use a struct device just to assign it to NULL.
> > Instead just provide the function below with NULL.
> >
> > > + ret = bus_for_each_dev(&soc_bus_type, dev, (void
> *)matches,
> > > + soc_device_match_one);
>

> I don't remember what led to this, I think you are right, we should just
> pass NULL as most other callers.

[Lu Yangbo-B47093] Will correct it. Thanks. :)

> Thanks for the review.
>
> ARnd

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:58    [W:0.129 / U:1.276 seconds]