    SubjectRe: GPU-DRM-TILCDC: Less function calls in tilcdc_convert_slave_node() after error detection
    On 09/23/16 10:36, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
    >> I think the "if (node)" in the of_node_put() is there on purpose,
    >
    > Yes, of course.
    >
    > Does such an implementation detail correspond to a general software design pattern?

    Yes it does. For instance standard malloc()/free() implementation [1].

    >> because it potentially saves the caller one extra if()-statement
    >
    > This can occasionally happen.
    >

    >> and keeps the caller code simpler.
    >
    > A special view on software simplicity can also lead to questionable intermediate
    > function implementation, can't it?

    I don't really follow. But in any case I do not see anything
    questionable in the current tilcdc_convert_slave_node() implementation.

    >> Keeping the goto labels in right order needs precision
    >
    > I can agree to this view.
    >

    >> and can lead to subtle errors.
    >
    > The management of jump labels is just another software development challenge
    > as usual, isn't it?

    Yes. But usually it pays of to avoid complexity when possible.

    >> Sometimes there is no way to avoid that,
    >
    > How do you think about to clarify the constraints which you imagine a bit more?

    If the the of_node_put() behaviour would not be specified with null
    pointer as parameter, there would be such a constraint.

    I am beginning to have a feeling that this discussion is not going anywhere.

    >> but here there is.
    >
    > I disagree to this conclusion.
    >
    > Would you like to care a bit more for efficiency and software correctness
    > around the discussed exception handling?

    No, I would not. I think we have reached the bottom of this discussion.
    For the moment I have more important tasks to do.

    Best regards,
    Jyri

    [1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/free.html

      Last update: 2016-09-23 12:37    [W:4.037 / U:0.472 seconds]