SubjectRe: [ISSUE] Memleak in LED sysfs on heavy usage

On 09/16/2016 09:44 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 08:49:44PM +0200, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:

>>> Why are you abusing uevents for flashing an LED? Please don't do that,
>>> it's not what that interface is for at all.
>>
>> It is called in a result of setting brightness value to LED_OFF,
>> which also removes registered trigger if any.
>
> So every time the LED goes off a uevent happens? That's not a good
> design.

We had a bug, but it was fixed with recent commit. Now the uevent
will happen when LED goes off only if trigger has been set.

>> The rationale for calling kobject_uevent_env() is given in the
>> relevant commit message:
>>
>> commit 52c47742f79d9240f90af9a6722fe8bb3fa8c0f9
>> Author: Colin Cross <ccross@android.com>
>> Date: Mon Aug 27 09:31:49 2012 +0800
>>
>> leds: triggers: send uevent when changing triggers
>>
>> Some triggers create sysfs files when they are enabled. Send a uevent
>> "change" notification whenever the trigger is changed to allow userspace
>> processes such as udev to modify permissions on the new files.
>>
>> A change notification will also be sent during registration of led class
>> devices or led triggers if the default trigger of an led class device
>> is found.
>
> If a sysfs file is removed, then I could see a change event being ok.
> But that's not what this patch does, it ALWAYS sends a uevent, even if
> nothing changed!

Yes, the function needs to be fixed. I'll submit relevant patch soon.

> Please fix that, otherwise you are going to really annoy userspace tools
> with this.
>
> But even then, I don't see how the uevent code has a memory leak with
> this, do you?

Not at the moment, but the fact is that the issue ceases to occur
after commenting the line out.

> And why aren't you checking the return value of
> kobject_uevent_env()?

Will fix.

--
Best regards,
Jacek Anaszewski

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:59    [W:0.414 / U:0.016 seconds]