SubjectRe: Potential race condition in drivers/ata/sata_mv.ko
Hello,

On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 03:43:30PM +0300, Pavel Andrianov wrote:
> In drivers/ata/sata_mv.ko function mv_set_main_irq_mask is called several
> times. Twice with a spinlock, twice from init function and once without any
> protection. The call without protection rises to several handlers from
> ata_port_operations. The structure with the ata_port_operations is included
> into a structure 'host' in mv_platform_probe and in mv_pci_init_one. At the
> end of these functions ata_host operations are activated together with
> interrupt handler. The conclusion is: interrupt handler may be executed in
> parallel with handlers from ata_port_operations, or, more formally, it may
> interrupt its execution.
>
> In mv_set_main_irq_mask and in interrupt handler mv_interrupt the interrupt
> mask is modified, but, as I said, handlers from ata_port_operations do not
> acquire any lock. Thus, the interrupt mask may be set incorrectly if the are
> two conflicting modifications.

It depends on which operations. Most are only called from EH context
and racing there isn't likely to cause any actual issues. Care to
submit a patch to fix the issue?

Thanks.

--
tejun

  Last update: 2016-08-10 06:21    [W:0.094 / U:0.032 seconds]