SubjectRe: usercopy: kernel memory exposure attempt detected
Hi Kees,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven
> <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> Saw this when using NFS root on r8a7791/koelsch, using a tree based on
>> renesas-drivers-2016-08-16-v4.8-rc2:
>>
>> usercopy: kernel memory exposure attempt detected from c01ff000
>> (<kernel text>) (4096 bytes)
>
> Hmmm, the kernel text exposure on ARM usually means the hardened
> usercopy patchset was applied to an ARM tree without the _etext patch:
> http://git.kernel.org/linus/14c4a533e0996f95a0a64dfd0b6252d788cebc74
>
> If you _do_ have this patch already (and based on the comment below, I
> suspect you do: usually the missing _etext makes the system entirely
> unbootable), then we need to dig further.

Yes, I do have that patch.

>> Despite the BUG(), the system continues working.
>
> I assume exim4 got killed, though?

Possibly. I don't really use email on the development boards.
Just a debootstrapped Debian NFS root.

> If you can figure out what bytes are present at c01ff000, that may
> give us a clue.

I've added a print_hex_dump(), so we'll find out when it happens again...

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:57    [W:1.587 / U:0.072 seconds]