SubjectSCHED_DEADLINE cpudeadline.{h,c} fixup
Date
Hi,

this is a rework of the cpudeadline bugfix and speed-up patch-set, that
integrates all comments received so far from Luca, Juri and Peter.

Compared with the previous post, here:
-) I'm keeping out the minimally invasive bugfix, as it's already been
merged in tip/sched/core
-) I moved some little code refactory around change_key_dl() out of the
(now) 2nd patch, to the 1st one. Now the 2nd (speed-up) patch just
changes the heapify_up/down() functions
-) I rebased on top of commit f0b22e39
-) I repeated an extensive set of tests through the framework published
separately at: https://github.com/tomcucinotta/cpudl-bench
repeating new no-behavior-change tests, new heap-consistency tests,
and new a/b benchmarks (I'm working on a new i5 laptop now), results at:
https://github.com/tomcucinotta/cpudl-bench/blob/master/cpudl-100000.pdf
highlighting up to a 14% speed-up when averaging over 100K ops. See the
enclosed README in that repo for more info.

I'm leaving below the original description of all 4 patches.

--
The first patch is a minimally invasive (1-line) fix for the deadline
wrap-around bug. This leaves some weirdness in how cpudl_change_key() is

The 3rd patch contains now the actual performance enhancement (avoiding
unneeded swaps during heapify operations), which has been measured to
achieve up to 14% of speed-up for cpudl_set() calls.
This has been measured with a randomly generated workload of 1K,10K,100K
random heap insertions and deletions (75% cpudl_set() calls with is_valid=1
and 25% with is_valid=0), and randomly generated cpu IDs, with up to 256
CPUs. Benchmarking code at: https://github.com/tomcucinotta/cpudl-bench

Finally, the 4th patch is another clear-up patch touching cpudeadline.{h,c}
and deadline.c. Now you call cpudl_clear(cp, cpu) and cpudl_set(cp, cpu, dl)
instead of cpudl_set(cp, cpu, 0 /* dl */, 0 /* is_valid */) and
cpudl_set(cp, cpu, dl, 1 /* is_valid */).

Any further comment is welcome, thanks!

Tommaso

  Last update: 2016-09-17 09:56    [W:0.053 / U:0.236 seconds]