SubjectRe: [RFD] Efficient unit test and fuzz tools for kernel/libc porting
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Zhangjian (Bamvor)
<bamvor.zhangjian@huawei.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> When I working on the ILP32 ABI for ARMv8 in last two years, I has
> encountered lots of syscall issues such as wrong number of arguments,
> different data type in binary interface. I realized that the correctness of
> argument passing between the C library and core kernel code is a common
> problem when bringing up new architecture or ABI to kernel and libc.
> Existing fuzz testing tools such as trinity[1], syzkaller[2] and triforce[3]
> only generate random or boundary values for syscall parameters and then
> inject them into kernel, but those tools won't validate if the results of
> those syscalls are correct or not. Thus they can not act as an unit test for
> ILP32. In this year, considering the abi of ILP32 is changes during
> discussion, I am thinking if I could use some sort of automatically tools to
> check whether the wrapper is correct or not. After learn and compare some
> fuzz tools, I feel that there is no such fuzz tools could help me. So, I
> wrote a new fuzz tools base on the trinity and it found several wrapper
> issues in glibc. I will first explain the different with existing fuzz tools
> and paste my propsosal in the end.
>
> Trinity is developed in a long time. It could randomize the parameter of
> syscall and run individual syscall standalone or parallel. When I do the
> long time parallel test(not for ILP32), it could report some bug, e.g. hang,
> panic. It is useful but it is indeed hard to debug because it usually fail
> after a long time running. I do not know what does it exactly do.
>
> Compare with Trinity, syzkaller is quite different. Here is the comparision
> between syzkaller and our tools:
> 1. Syzkaller could recursively randomize base date type in syscall which
> means it is possible generate more meaningfull syscall test. But it only
> test the syscall through syscall() function. It assume that the c library is
> correct and stable. But it is wrong if we are porting new abi(such as ILP32)
> or architecture to glibc and kernel. We need to take c library into account.
> This is what my tools could do.
>
> 2. Syzkaller could generate the readable short testcases. Our tools could
> only test individual syscall and check the correctness of parameter and
> return value. I think it is enough for the unit test which tests syscall one
> by one.
>
> 3. Syzkaller could do the coverage. Our tools could not. I think it is
> useful for me. I plan to add the coverage later.
>
> In my ILP32 works, my tools reported several off_t endian issues in glibc.
> Our tools work like this:
>
> Dump the function Dump the function
> prototype from prototype from c
> vmlinux from the library from the
> sys_call_table given list(posix
> array in kernel. interfaces or user
> | defined).
> | |
> | |
> \|/ \|/
> ` `
> [...]

Hi Bamvor,

Nice work!

Coverage should be easy to do with CONFIG_KCOV, but do you need
fuzzing/coverage? It seems that testing a predefined set of special
values for each arg should be enough for your use case. Namely special
values that can detect endianess/truncation/sign extension/etc issues.

I think there is also a number of glibc functions that don't directly
map to syscalls. Most notably wrappers around various ioctl's (e.g.
ptsname). Do you test them?

  Last update: 2016-07-06 10:41    [W:0.116 / U:0.488 seconds]