SubjectRe: v4.1 to v4.7: regression in tsc2005 driver
On Thursday 21 July 2016 10:54:21 Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Thu 2016-07-21 16:42:41, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 08:32:34AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > Ok.. so out of the box, touchscreen is "upside down" and miscalibrated
> > > on n900. So I need to run
> > >
> > > xinput --set-prop --type=float 8 115 1.10 0.00 -0.05 0.00 1.18 -0.10 0.00 0.00 1.00
> > > xinput --set-prop --type=int 8 249 0 1
> > >
> > > (or equivalent with names) so that I can use the touchscreen. (And
> > > that's quite important -- X is somehow unusable without pointing
> > > device).
> > >
> > > If xinput is not the right solution, what is the right solution?
> >
> > if it's reliably miscalibrated (i.e. the numbers don't change), use an
> > xorg.conf snippet. If it needs some run-time changes add the hooks
>
> Does not change and is needed for all the N900's.
>
> Well. I guess xorg.conf snippet will do the trick, but that's hardly
> better.
>
> Should x.org have internal database saying "Nokia N900 with tsc2005
> touchscreen means this calibration"?
>
> Should we have calibration info in the device tree, with kernel
> passing it to the x?
>
> Should kernel somehow do the calibration itself?

From my memory how this problem is solved on Maemo 5:

There is XML snippet of HAL file which contains xorg properties for
input driver. Xorg server loads from HAL xorg settings and somehow
propagate them. That file is generated either from default system data
(those comes from DEB package) or from user config file (that is
generated from Settings application) or from CAL partition (NAND
partition which contains device/product specific calibration data).

Because it is read also from CAL, I need to say those data does not have
to be same for all N900 devices.

And because there is Settings application which can re-calibrate
touchscreen, those data are not even static.

Now HAL is deprecated, but I suspect that xorg.conf.d/ directory or UDEV
can be used in same way to propagate device specific settings for
touchscreen device...

So... if we decide that it is good idea to put calibration data (either
to kernel driver/N900 DTS or xorg project), first we need to somehow
check and verify that those default calibration data are good for most
(or all) N900. Or check on more N900 how differs data in CAL partition
(maybe they are really static??).

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

  Last update: 2016-07-21 11:41    [W:0.110 / U:0.496 seconds]