SubjectRe: SOC-specific action for irq_set_wake
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 06:16:06AM -0700, Sören Brinkmann wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 09:17:16 +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > On 20/07/16 00:34, Sören Brinkmann wrote:
> > > Hi Andy,

> > > We have a full companion core running firmware. As in your case,
> > > we can use any IRQ source and some additional IOs as wake event. So,
> > > it's fundamentally very similar. Main difference is probably the
> > > interface. In our case, we have some platform-specific FW interfaces
> > > that we need to call. Basically, Linux doing an SMC call and then the
> > > secure monitor handling the rest. And for that we may also have to do
> > > some additional mapping of the IRQ number to something the FW interface
> > > understands.

> > > Yeah, I though I remembered that and wanted to use it now and was slightly
> > > disappointed when I couldn't find the code anymore.
> >
> > It was slaughtered for a good reason: It was unmaintainable, had
> > horrible performance issues, wasn't described in any of DT or ACPI, and
> > didn't fit any of the core code idioms. It has been replaced by
> > something we that is supported in the code code and that is working for
> > all current users of the GIC that have similar requirements to yours.

> > > I suspected that some sort of dummy interrupt controller might be one
> > > way to do it. I was hoping to find a simpler way, but maybe this is the
> > > way to go. One concern could be that this might require adding something
> > > into the DT that doesn't really exist.
> >
> > It is not "dummy". It drives an actual piece of HW (the wake up
> > interrupts) and a piece of ****ware (the secure monitor side). And since
> > when the DT has become something that we cannot change? Last time I
> > checked, people were still adding 20 new bindings per merge window.
>
> I'm not afraid of changing the DT. But the described hierarchy etc.
> would not reflect the actual HW implementation. I'm generally fine with
> exploring this route.

> > > We fully control our secure monitor. That should not be an issue for us.
> > > What do you mean we'd need to call into the monitor? Linux masks all wake
> > > IRQs when going into suspend. Everything unmasked should be a wake IRQ,
> > > or am I missing something? I thought we could simply read the
> > > enable/disable status of all IRQs in the secure monitor suspend path and
> > > do the needed communication with the companion core.

I was thinking of scm calls or whatnot, but it actually makes more sense for the
monitor to just to all of it at suspend time. That makes it transparent to
Linux.

> > That's also a possibility. If you do that, you really have to wonder why
> > you're not implementing this as part of PSCI, because it seems a bit
> > silly to have two interfaces for the same thing.
>
> Absolutely, that was my thinking. The suspend path is implemented using PSCI and
> we could potentially add this in there. I never said it wouldn't be part
> of the PSCI implementation.

> > > We have essentially a whole second interrupt controller. All IRQs are
> > > connected to the A53 GIC and this second interrupt controller that is
> > > controlled by the companion core. The companion core is supposed to be
> > > informed about what source the A53 needs to wake up on and will program
> > > this second IRQ controller, etc.
> >
> > So your "special case" is exactly like everyone else's. Implement it as
> > a hierarchical chip on top of the GIC, just like Tegra, OMAP, iMX6,
> > Exynos and a few others. Unless you implement PSCI.
>
> I didn't really think that our case is unique. I was just looking for
> some pointers into the right direction as the extension mechanism that I
> remembered disappeared and I haven't been following the development
> closely enough to just know what alternatives are available.
> So, you say the approach of letting the secure monitor infer the wake
> IRQ by reading the GIC config is preferred over handling it as
> hierarchical chip within Linux?

If you can do it in PSCI, that makes things much simpler. I don't think he is
saying it's preferred. Just choose the solution that makes sense for you.

Regards,

Andy

  Last update: 2016-07-20 16:01    [W:0.059 / U:1.576 seconds]