SubjectRe: [QUESTION] Is there a better way to get ftrace dump on guest?
On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 09:52:31AM +0900, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 09:57:27AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 15:33:18 +0900
> > Namhyung Kim <namhyung@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Send again to correct addresses, sorry!

> > Heh, I'd say something helpful but you basically already shot down all
> > of my advice, because what I do is...
> >
> > 1) Reduce the size of the ring buffer
> >
> > 2) Dump out just one CPU
> >
> > 3) use kexec/kdump and make a crash kernel to extract trace.dat from
> >

> > That's my debugging environment, but it looks like you want something
> > else.
>
> Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I'd like to know other ways to overcome
> this if possible. Since I don't have enough knowledge about this
> area, I hope others would have better idea. :)

Now I'm thinking about extending the pstore subsystem. AFAICS it's
the best fit for my use case. While it only supports function tracer
with a dedicated ftrace_ops now, it can be used for ftrace dump IMHO.

Does it make sense to add a virtio pstore driver and saves the dump to
files on host?

Thanks,
Namhyung

  Last update: 2016-07-01 07:21    [W:0.049 / U:0.016 seconds]