    SubjectRe: [RFC v4 01/14] regulator: of: Add helper for getting all supplies
    On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:44:18AM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
    >> Few drivers have a need of getting regulator supplies without knowing
    >> their names:
    >> 1. The Simple Framebuffer driver works on setup provided by bootloader
    >> (outside of scope of kernel);
    >> 2. Generic power sequence driver may be attached to any device node.
    >>
    >> Add a Device Tree helper for parsing "-supply" properties and returning
    >> allocated bulk regulator consumers.
    >
    > I'm still very concerned that this is just an invitation to people to
    > write half baked regulator consumers and half baked DTs to go along with
    > it, making it a standard API that doesn't have big red flags on it that
    > will flag up when "normal" drivers use it is not good. Right now this
    > just looks like a standard API and people are going to just start using
    > it. If we are going to do this perhaps we need a separate header or
    > something to help flag this up.
    >
    > In the case of power sequences I'd expect the sequences to perform
    > operations on named supplies - the core shouldn't know what the supplies
    > are but the thing specifying the sequence should.
    >
    >> drivers/regulator/of_regulator.c | 86 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >> include/linux/regulator/of_regulator.h | 13 +++++
    >> 2 files changed, 99 insertions(+)
    >
    > The external interface shouldn't be DT specific, the Intel people are
    > busy importing all of DT into ACPI

    Well, not really.

    If you are referring to the pinctrl proposal discussed recently, that
    was a proposal from one group at Intel and AFAICS it has been
    abandoned.

    > so they'll doubtless want an ACPI version.

    That is possible, though, so I agree that the external interface
    should not be DT-specific.

      Last update: 2016-06-09 15:41    [W:4.252 / U:0.040 seconds]