SubjectRe: [RFC v4 0/7] extcon: usb-gpio: fixes and improvements

Hi,

On 06/09/2016 10:35 AM, Chanwoo Choi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is good to support USB_ID and USB_VBUS by extcon.
>
> But,
> there is some issue about adding the new cable type for
> both EXTCON_USB_ID and EXTCON_USB_VBUS
>
> I think that the ID and VBUS state are not cable type
> Instead, ID and VBUS state are the property of USB cable.
>
> So, I'd like to add the following function to support
> the property of each cable as following:
> The client driver can get the state of property by using
> the extcon_get_cable_property_state().
>
> - int extcon_get_cable_property_state(struct extcon_dev *edev,
> unsigned int id,
> enum extcon_property property);
> - int extcon_set_cable_property_state(struct extcon_dev *edev,
> unsigned int id,
> enum extcon_property property,
> unsigned int state);
>
> For example,
> In extcon-usb-gpio.c, set state of property as follwoing:
> extcon_set_cable_property_state(edev, EXTCON_USB, EXTCON_USB_PROP_ID, 1);
> extcon_set_cable_property_state(edev, EXTCON_USB, EXTCON_USB_PROP_VBUS, 1);
>

> In the extcon client driver, get state of property as following:
> id_state = extcon_get_cable_property_state(edev, EXTCON_USB, EXTCON_USB_PROP_ID);
> vbus_state = extcon_get_cable_property_state(edev, EXTCON_USB, EXTCON_USB_PROP_VUBS);

How one can receive notifications with this API?

Last time you wrote, at the end of discussion:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1923192/focus=1923193
> IMO, if some usb driver check both id and vbus pin at the same time,
> the usb driver can know the both id and vbus pin state through only
one notifier event.

> Also,
> If some usb driver want to know the state of id pin except of vbus state,
> when receiving following events, id pin is low.
> #define EXTCON_USB_ID_L_VBUS_L0
> #define EXTCON_USB_ID_L_VBUS_H1
> when receiving following events, id pin is high.
> #define EXTCON_USB_ID_H_VBUS_L2
> #define EXTCON_USB_ID_H_VBUS_H3
> Also, some usb driver would catch the vbus pin state with same method.
>
> But, it is just my opinion. We may use following notifier events for
each pin.
> We need to discuss it.
> #define EXTCON_USB_ID_LOW
> #define EXTCON_USB_ID_HIGH
> #define EXTCON_USB_VBUS_LOW
> #define EXTCON_USB_VBUS_HIGH

... all other participants agreed on that conclusion. So why change of
view point now?

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  Last update: 2016-06-09 11:21    [W:0.252 / U:0.112 seconds]