SubjectRe: livepatch: allow removal of a disabled patch
On Thu, 5 May 2016, Jessica Yu wrote:

> +++ Josh Poimboeuf [05/05/16 10:04 -0500]:

> > > struct

> > > module_put()

> > > is

> > > can

> > > Ok, bad example. Take enabled_show() instead. It could be fixed in the
> > > same way, but I am not sure it is the right thing to do. It does not scale
> > > because the problem is elsewhere.
> > >
> > > Anyway, it is (even if theoretically) there in my opinion and we
> > > have two options.
> > >
> > > 1. We could forget about CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE and all is ok
> > > without completion and regardless of dynamic/static kobject allocation.
> > >
> > > 2. We introduce completion and we are ok even with
> > > CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE=y and again regardless of dynamic/static
> > > kobject allocation.
> >
> > I would disagree with the statement that the dynamic kobject doesn't
> > scale. We would just need a helper function to get from a kobject to
> > its klp_patch.
> >
> > In fact, to me it seems like the right way to do it. It doesn't make
> > sense for the code which creates the kobject to be different from the
> > code which initializes it. It's slightly out of context, but
> > kobject.txt does say:
> >
> > "Code which creates a kobject must, of course, initialize that object."
> >
> > I view the completion as a hack to compensate for the fact that we're
> > abusing the kobject interface. And so it makes sense to me that
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE would cause problems, because we're using
> > kobjects in the wrong way.
> >
> > So in my view, the two options are:
> >
> > 1. Convert the kobject to dynamic as I described.
> >
> > 2. Change the klp_register() interface so that klp_patch gets allocated
> > in livepatch code.
> >
> > I'd be curious to hear what others think.
>
> So, I think both of these solutions would enable us to get rid of
> the completion. Let me try to summarize..

Whoa, thanks for a good summary. That's exactly what was needed :)

> For solution #1, if we dynamically allocate the kobject, i.e. we have a
> pointer now instead of having it embedded in the klp_patch struct, we no
> longer need to worry if the corresponding klp_patch gets deallocated under
> our nose. Since the kobject_cleanup function is delayed w/
> CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE, it is possible to have sysfs entries that
> refer to a klp_patch that no longer exists. Thus if any of the sysfs
> functions get called, we would have to take care to ensure that the
> klp_patch struct corresponding to the kobject in question actually still
> exists. In this case, all sysfs functions would require an extra check to
> make sure the matching klp_patch is still on the patches list and return an
> error if it isn't found. The "pro" is that this change would be simple, the
> "con" is that now kobjects are decoupled and managed completely separately
> from the object (klp_patch) with which they are associated, which doesn't
> feel 100% right.

Yes, I've thought a lot about it during the night (I've even dreams about
kobjects now) and this doesn't seem as a good solution. We would need to
make sure that we have appropriate checks everytime we change something in
the code. Moreover I don't like walking through the list of patches each
time. It is not critical path, but it is not nice anyway. This is what I
meant with scaling problem previously.

I agree that while compaction makes all the problems go away, it is more
like 'after a fashion' solution. Which leads me to...

> For solution #2, we could have livepatch manage the (de)allocation of
> klp_patch objects internally. Maybe in this scenario the caller would need
> to request a klp_patch object be allocated and the caller would fill out the
> returned klp_patch struct as appropriate. In this case, we would be able
> leave the kobject embedded in the klp_patch struct (and dynamic kobjects
> wouldn't be needed), as livepatch would now have control of both structures.

I think this is the way to go.

> Then during the patch module exit path, when kobject_put is called, the
> klp_patch struct would be freed in its kobject's release function. We
> wouldn't have to hold up rmmod, and delayed execution of kobject_cleanup
> wouldn't break anything, because a klp_patch would then have the same
> "lifespan"
> as its corresponding kobject, and therefore it would be safe to invoke
> enabled_store & co. up until kobject_cleanup is finally executed. We'd be
> able to use container_of in this case as well. In addition, we wouldn't
> have to force all sysfs functions to support an awkward edge-case (i.e.
> checking if the corresponding klp_patch still exists). I think this
> solution also matches better with the typical use-case of the kobject
> release method, as described in kobject.txt (replacing 'my_object' with
> klp_patch):
> ---
> (...)
> This notification is done through a kobject's release() method.
> Usually such a method has a form like:
>
> void my_object_release(struct kobject *kobj)
> {
> struct my_object *mine = container_of(kobj, struct my_object, kobj);
> /* Perform any additional cleanup on this object, then... */
> kfree(mine);
> }
> ---
> Apologies for the giant wall of text. In any case I feel like solution #2
> is actually closer in line with how kobjects are normally used, embedded in
> the structures they refer to, which get deallocated once their refcount
> hits 0. What do people think?

I agree. Josh and jikos proposed this as well, so I think we have an
agreement. I'm gonna prepare a patch independent of the consistency model
as this is a separate issue.

Thanks a lot,
Miroslav

  Last update: 2016-05-06 10:01    [W:2.440 / U:0.008 seconds]