SubjectRe: [RFC] Create an audit record of USB specific details
On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 02:48:43PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 05:33:10PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:

> > > Then please do it in userspace, as I suggested before, that way you
> > > catch all types of devices, not just USB ones.
> > >
> > > Also I don't think you realize that USB interfaces are what are bound to
> > > drivers, not USB devices, so that is going to mess with any attempted
> > > audit trails here. How are you going to distinguish between the 5
> > > different devices that just got plugged in that all have 0000/0000 as
> > > vid/pid for them because they are "cheap" devices from China, yet do
> > > totally different things because they are different _types_ of devices?
> >
> > This sounds like vid/pid should be captured in the event.
>
> The code did that, the point is, vid/pid means nothing in the real
> world. So why are you going to audit anything based on it? :)

Oh wait, it's worse, it is logging strings, which are even more
unreliable than vid/pid values. It's pretty obvious this has not been
tested on any large batch of real-world devices, or thought through as
to why any of this is even needed at all.

So why is this being added? Who needs/wants this? What are their
requirements here? From what I recall, the author is just messing
around with the USB subsystem and audit as something fun to do, which is
great, but don't expect it to be mergable :)

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2016-04-05 00:41    [W:0.084 / U:0.680 seconds]