SubjectRe: [patch 2/7] lib/hashmod: Add modulo based hash mechanism
From
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM, George Spelvin <linux@horizon.com> wrote:

> After researching it, I think that the "high bits of a multiply" is
> in fact a decent way to do such a hash.

Our emails crossed. Yes. My test harness actually likes the
multiplication more than most of the specialized "spread out bits"
versions I've found, but only if the constants are better-chosen than
the ones we have now.

> One thing I note is that the advice in the comments to choose a prime
> number is misquoting Knuth! Knuth says (vol. 3 section 6.4) the number
> should be *relatively* prime to the word size, which for binary computers
> simply means odd.

At least for my tests, even that seems to actually be a total
non-issue. Yes, odd values *might* be better, but as mentioned in my
crossing email, it doesn't actually seem to matter for any case the
kernel cares about, since we tend to want to hash down to 10-20 bits
of data, so the least significant bit (particularly for the 64-bit
case) just doesn't matter all that much.

For the 32-bit case I suspect it's more noticeable, since we might be
using even half or more of the result.

But as mentioned: that least-order bit seems to be a *lot* less
important than the mix of the bits in the middle. Because even if your
input ends up being all zeroes in the low bits (it that worst-case
"page aligned pointers" case that Thomas had), and the hash multiplies
by an even number, you'll still end up just dropping all those zero
bits anyway.

> When we have a hardware multiplier, keeping the Hamming weight low is
> a waste of time. When we don't, clever organization can do
> better than the very naive addition/subtraction chain in the
> current hash_64().

Yeah. gcc will actually do the clever stuff for the 32-bit case, afaik.

Nothing I know of does it for the 64-bit case, which is why our
current hand-written one isn't even the smark one.

> To multiply by the 32-bit constant 1640531527 = 0x61c88647 (which is
> the negative of the golden ratio, so has identical distribution
> properties) can be done in 6 shifts + adds, with a critical path
> length of 7 operations (3 shifts + 4 adds).

So the reason we don't do this for the 32-bit case is exactly that gcc
can already do this.

If you can do the same for the 64-bit case, that might be worth it.

Linus

  Last update: 2016-04-30 02:21    [W:0.087 / U:0.236 seconds]