SubjectRe: [RFC 07/20] net: dsa: list ports in switch\\
Date
Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com> writes:

> On 27/04/16 16:15, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 06:30:04PM -0400, Vivien Didelot wrote:
>>> List DSA port structures in their switch structure, so that drivers can
>>> iterate on them to retrieve information such as their ports membership.
>>
>> And this would be so much easier using a plan array.
>
> Agreed, I do not see much value in doing this at the moment. Even if you
> have unused ports in a switch, allocating an array is a small price to
> pay compared to directly indexing by port number.
>
> NAK from me unless there is a compelling reason for doing so.

The point of having a list is 1) get rid of the DSA_MAX_PORTS and have
variable number of ports 2) lists make iteration easier with variable
number of switchs/ports, e.g.:

dsa_tree_for_each_switch(dst, ds)
dsa_switch_for_each_port(ds, dp)
/* do something with the port */;

Anyway, I'm writing a proposal for a new design of DSA, in order to
support the D in DSA. That way, we'll avoid reviewing details of the
implementation and have a big picture of the necessary API changes.

Thanks,

Vivien

  Last update: 2016-04-28 20:41    [W:0.128 / U:0.964 seconds]