SubjectRe: Misleading hint to select CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS if driver sets PERF_PMU_CAP_NO_INTERRUPT
Date
On Friday 22 April 2016 06:56 PM, Lada Trimasova wrote:
> I have a question about user-space perf handling error numbers.
> The problem is that PMU interrupts are not supported in arc700
> architecture and it is impossible to evaluate `perf record` command.
> In our perf implementation we set PERF_PMU_CAP_NO_INTERRUPT flag so
> core perf infrastructure knows we don't have interrupts.
>
> Kernel `sys_perf_event_open` handler checks if PMU interrupts are
> supported and returns ENOTSUPP (524) error code.
> I'd expect that perf implementation checks the return value of syscalls
> and gives the user understandable error message.
> But now I see:
> --------------------------------->8-----------------------------------
> # perf record ls
> The sys_perf_event_open() syscall returned with 524 (Unknown error 524)
> for event (cycles:ppp).

I think what we have now is sufficient - but u seem to want a prettier failure output.

Anyhow, this print is coming from util/evsel.c: perf_evsel__open_strerror()
At the very least you want another entry in switch case for ENOTSUPP and then
check if event was sampling one (
evsel->attr.sample_period) - use that as a hint for saying sampling events not
supported.

But this will print the same even if CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS=n. To really fix this you
would want to change the error code returned by SYSCALL_DEFINE5(perf_event_open
for PERF_PMU_CAP_NO_INTERRUPT to say -EOPNOTSUPP and use the sample_period to say
this was for samplign events! However this is an ABI change and might not be
acceptable as some existing scripts etc might break.