SubjectRe: [Question] refcount of DT node
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 01:02:56PM +0300, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> > On Apr 14, 2016, at 12:59 , Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com> wrote:

> >> The message from DT people is... don't worry about DT node refcounting.
> >> Do whatever you want with it, they don't care whether you have correct
> >> refcounting or not.
> >>
> >> The background behind that is that I've tried to fix the refcounting,
> >> and even had the coccinelle people generate some stuff to work on this
> >> issue, but DT people's attitude towards it is "don't bother".
> >>
> >> So yes, people may get it wrong, but it seems it's something that DT
> >> people want ignored.
> >
> > I'm not sure that's quite fair; the last discussion I recall about this
> > ended up concluding that we need a better API, rather than papering over
> > problems.
> >
> > That said, there isn't much obvious progress on that front.
> >
> > Frank, Pantelis, Rob, were there any conclusions on this from ELC, or is
> > this something that needs someone to propose something?
> >

> Frank mentioned that he wants a new API. I have some ideas about it too.
>
> My take is that drivers should never do reference counting, we have to figure
> out a way for DT access using copy semantics or locks.

Generally yes, but I think there may be exceptions. I think the locking
is too fine grained for what we need. For almost all users, I think we
only need locking at the overlay or changeset level. The only other user
I am aware of is PSeries (IIRC) and they only need reference counting
for a few things like memory and cpu. I would handle those cases
explicitly. But that is going to require someone familar with PSeries to
work on. I suppose we could separate overlays from the OF_DYNAMIC
dependency (or just the ref counting part of it) and then OF_DYNAMIC
goes back to PPC only.

Rob

  Last update: 2016-04-14 19:21    [W:0.304 / U:0.004 seconds]