SubjectRe: THP-enabled filesystem vs. FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE
On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 11:38:47AM -0800, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Dave Hansen wrote:

> > > Looks like this shouldn't be a problem. man 2 fallocate:
> > >
> > > Within the specified range, partial filesystem blocks are zeroed,
> > > and whole filesystem blocks are removed from the file. After a
> > > successful call, subsequent reads from this range will return
> > > zeroes.
> > >
> > > It means we effectively have 2M filesystem block size.
> >
> > The question is still whether this will case problems for apps.
> >
> > Isn't 2MB a quote unusual block size? Wouldn't some files on a tmpfs
> > filesystem act like they have a 2M blocksize and others like they have
> > 4k? Would that confuse apps?
>
> At risk of addressing the tip of an iceberg, before diving down to
> scope out the rest of the iceberg...

> (Though in the case of my huge tmpfs, it's the reverse: the small hole
> punch splits the hugepage; but it's natural that Kirill's way would try
> to hold on to its compound pages for longer than I do, and that's fine
> so long as it's all consistent.)
> Ah, but suppose someone holepunches out most of each 2M page: they would
> expect the memcg not to be charged for those holes (just as when they
> munmap most of an anonymous THP) - that does suggest splitting is needed.

I think filesystems will expect splitting to happen. They call
truncate_pagecache_range() on the region that the hole is being
punched out of, and they expect page cache pages over this range to
be unmapped, invalidated and then removed from the mapping tree as a
result. Also, most filesystems think the page cache only contains
PAGE_CACHE_SIZE mappings, so they are completely unaware of the
limitations THP might have when it comes to invalidation.

IOWs, if this range is not aligned to huge page boundaries, then it
implies the huge page is either split into PAGE_SIZE mappings and
then the range is invalidated as expected, or it is completely
invalidated and then refaulted on future accesses which determine if
THP or normal pages are used for the page being faulted....

Just to complicate things, keep in mind that some filesystems may
have a PAGE_SIZE block size, but can be convinced to only
allocate/punch/truncate/etc extents on larger alignments on a
per-inode basis. IOWs, THP vs hole punch behaviour is not actually
a filesystem type specific behaviour - it's per-inode specific...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

  Last update: 2016-03-05 00:41    [W:0.087 / U:1.232 seconds]