SubjectRe: [isocpp-parallel] Proposal for new memory_order_consume definition
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 07:17:55PM +0100, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2016, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
> > But we do already have something very similar with signed integer
> > overflow. If the compiler can see a way to generate faster code that
> > does not handle the overflow case, then the semantics suddenly change
> > from twos-complement arithmetic to something very strange. The standard
> > does not specify all the ways that the implementation might deduce that
> > faster code can be generated by ignoring the overflow case, it instead
> > simply says that signed integer overflow invoked undefined behavior.
> >
> > And if that is a problem, you use unsigned integers instead of signed
> > integers.
> >
> > So it seems that we should be able to do something very similar here.
>
> For this case the important pice of information to convey one or the other
> meaning in source code is the _type_ of involved entities, not annotations
> on the operations. signed type -> undefined overflow, unsigned type ->
> modulo arithmetic; easy, and it nicely carries automatically through
> operation chains (and pointers) without any annotations.
>
> I feel much of the complexity in the memory order specifications, also
> with your recent (much better) wording to explain dependency chains, would
> be much easier if the 'carries-dependency' would be encoded into the types
> of operands. For purpose of example, let's call the marker "blaeh" (not
> atomic to not confuse with existing use :) ):
>
> int foo;
> blaeh int global;
> int *somep;
> blae int *blaehp;
> f () {
> blaehp = &foo; // might be okay, adds restrictions on accesses through
> // blaehp, but not through 'foo' directly
> blaehp = &global;
> if (somep == blaehp)
> {
> /* Even though the value is equal ... */
> ... *blaehp ... /* ... a compiler can't rewrite this into *somep */
> }
> }
>
> A "carries-dependency" on some operation (e.g. a call) would be added by
> using a properly typed pointer at those arguments (or return type) where
> it matters. You can't give a blaeh pointer to something only accepting
> non-blaeh pointers (without cast).
>
> Pointer addition and similar transformations involving a blaeh pointer and
> some integer would still give a blaeh pointer, and hence by default also
> solve the problem of cancellations.
>
> Such marking via types would not solve all problems in an optimal way if
> you had two overlapping but independend dependency chains (all of them
> would collapse to one chain and hence made dependend, which still is
> conservatively correct).
>
> OTOH introducing new type qualifiers is a much larger undertaking, so I
> can understand one wants to avoid this. I think it'd ultimately be
> clearer, though.

As has been stated in this thread, we do need the unmarked variant.

For the marked variant, there are quite a few possible solutions with
varying advantages and disadvantages:

o Attribute already exists, but is not carried by the type system.
Could be enforced by external tools.

o Storage class could be added with fewer effects on the type
system, but the reaction to this suggestion in October was
not all that positive.

o Non-type keywords for objects has been suggested, might be worth
revisiting.

o Adding to the type system allows type enforcement on the one
hand, but makes it harder to write code that can be used for
both RCU-protected and not-RCU-protected data structures.
(This sort of thing is not uncommon in the Linux kernel.)

There are probably others, but those are the ones I recall at the
moment.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2016-03-01 03:01    [W:0.091 / U:0.140 seconds]