SubjectRe: [isocpp-parallel] Proposal for new memory_order_consume definition
On 02/28/2016 05:13 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Yeah, let's just say that the original C designers were
> better at their job than a gaggle of standards people who were making
> bad crap up to make some Fortran-style programs go faster.

The original C designers were defining a language that would make it
easy to write operating systems in (and not having to rely on assembler).

I misled the quote where they said they first tried Fortran (and
concluded it didn't fit their purpose).

BTW, Fortran was designed around floating point arithmetic (and its
non-relation to the mathematical concept of the field of the reals).

It used integers only for counting and indexing arrays, so it had no
purpose for "signed integers that overflowed". Therefore, to the Fortran
standard, this was "undefined". It was literally "undefined" - as it was
not described by the standard's text.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands

  Last update: 2016-02-29 23:01    [W:0.533 / U:0.368 seconds]